Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tree Frogs

1. Back To Top    #1

Tree Frogs

I was curious if anyone else has or has had the same problem I am having. We moved into the house last year (forclosed HUD home) and the pool was a swamp and home to many bullfrogs. Before the liner was replaced, to the joy of my daughter, I scooped out all the bullfrogs after the water was drained. On top of the bullfrogs, the pool was a breeding ground for gray tree frogs as well. When the pool was built, the concrete was poured too soon as the ground hadn't settled yet, so there is a little bit of lifting of the concrete in some spots. This makes a nice little crevice for the frogs to live in. The first week of opening the pool, there were frogs all over the place on the solar cover at night. I scooped as many as I could each night and took them down the street to a creek. Took about a week but I got all of them.

Last night I went out to put the cover on, and sure enough, I had 2 frogs back. One was actually swimming in the pool! Now, I'm all for protecting wildlife, and I don't want to harm the frogs, but I don't want to swim with them at night either. Does anyone know a solution to keeping them out of the pool?
    20k inground vinyl oval, Hayward super pump 1.5 HP, Pacvac 36 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator, Brand new liner 2009. 1st pool ever owned.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tree Frogs

I have the same problem and haven't come up with a solution either.

However, I do know that chlorine is toxic to them. I've occasionally scooped some small ones out of the skimmer that have died. I tell the live ones the water isn't good for them when I get them out and then put them in my neighbors pond. But they don't listen and seem to prefer my sparkly pool to the murky pond.
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't know if this really works or not, but here's the link anyway:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... frog_x.htm
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

4. Back To Top    #4

Snake away is supposed to keep them at bay. I haven't had the chance to try it out, but it's supposedly non-toxic. Sounds a bit like crushed up mothballs to me, but I don't know.

5. Back To Top    #5

Heck, why not swim with them? They're cute (in an amphibious way) and don't bite nor attack.

If you really wanted them gone, put a snake in the pool (they're ~cute in a reptilian way :P ) and will keep the frog population down.

If it were me, I'd rather share the pool with a frog than with a snake!

Just be thankful it's not 6" salamanders
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a swamp behind my house i get frogs/turtles in my pool. I scoop em out put em in a bucket and drive em south down the road a 1/2 mile. It stops them for a few days but they seem to find their way back like a ol blood hound.Some times we just swim with them we dont care any more.

7. Back To Top    #7

I can't help but wonder if floating a rubber snake in the pool would deter them? A lot of folks around here use plastic owls to deter smaller birds from doing 'bomber runs' on their pools and keep mice, chipmunks and moles from going swimming

Just thought I'd proffer the idea
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    I can't help but wonder if floating a rubber snake in the pool would deter them? A lot of folks around here use plastic owls to deter smaller birds from doing 'bomber runs' on their pools and keep mice, chipmunks and moles from going swimming
    I can understand the plastic owl deterring the birds, but it deters chipmunks too? If so, I'd really like to try it because I'm tired of fishing out dead chipmunks
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for your replies. I didn't think there was much I could do, but just curious. I like having the frogs around. Lets me know the environment is good, they eat bugs, but I don't want to swim with them. That frog hotel ideal looked interesting. I haven't done much night swimming so it's really not a big deal. I was also worried the chlorine would be bad for them, and hope to keep them out for their own sake.
    20k inground vinyl oval, Hayward super pump 1.5 HP, Pacvac 36 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator, Brand new liner 2009. 1st pool ever owned.

10. Back To Top    #10

Mickey (I just realized last night that you are also a member of PF )

Anything that an owl would consider prey will be deterred by the sight of an owl, be it real or not
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted