Hello fellow TFP travelers,
I just put up my pool in May and last Thursday, I came home from work to find a Jolly Green Giant in my back yard. Yes, you guessed it! My pool was full of algae. I read up on treating algae here on your wonderful site, but I seem to be at a standstill.
First, here is the info about my pool:
Pool Type: Intex Above Ground 18' x 4' / 6400 gallons
Filter: Krystal Clear Model 635, Cartridge
Test Kit Type: Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Svc Test Kit
Second, here is my current test results:
FC: 15 (I added bleach to bring up to 20)
Third, a brief summary of my battle with algae. I started shocking the pool ASAP with 6% bleach. I brought it up to 12 to shock (when I started, my CYA was less than 20 - I adjusted up to 50. I wasnt aiming for it to be that high, but, thats what happened). Now i've been shocking at 20. I work from 8-5pm, so I've been bringing it up to 20 in the morning, having my Mom bring it up to 20 at lunch (we do the calculations on my lunch break) and then I bring it back up at night. I've done the overnight test the last 2 nights and it drops to about 12 by morning. The water has been milky white/blue (no more green) since Sunday evening. I seem to be at a standstill.
I'm going to stay home from work tomorrow so that I can check the shock every hour, but my question is that since I havent seen much improvement in the color/clarity - should I shock at a higher level, like 25/30? Also, could the high TA be a problem, even though my pH is within recommended levels?
Answers to these questions and any other advice would be greatly appreciated!!
P.S. - Best pool site on the web, hands down!