Pool guys say I should be shocking with bleach as well???...

Butterfly said:
Hey John,

It would be most helpful if you would post a full set of test results :-D

If you google (bottom left) phosphates, you will get a ton of info. Phosphates are a non-issue in 99% of pools.

I would love to get you a full test result. But here in cali its kinda hard. I get back tomorrow though, I dont have a test kit so hopefully the local Leslie's is open late enough to get a test kit.

thanks for the reccommendation. I decided to go to leslies just so they could test the water, they tried to sell me 400 dollars worth of chemicals but I kindly declined. Anyway I got home about 1 p.m. and first thing the GF says is " theres lots of sand in the pool today" MY first responce was O Darn, filter gone, then realised once I got home it was a bunch of dead algae. So I Vaccummed to waste and took pounds of dead algae out. Water is VERY cloudy. I have never seen the water this bad to be honest, and I had the pool built 10 years ago, just got the liner replaced last year. OMG to say the least. But here are the results. I went a head and added 4 gallons of bleach to the pool (all I had left) and hoped for the best. Here are the numbers.

FC 5ppm
CC 1ppm
ph 7.0
ALK 30 ppm
CAL 210
CYA 90. I told him the water was coudy so that may come out wrong. So we took the rest of my water sample and used the black dot after we ran it through a coffee filter and it was still about 85. Is that high or good???

Thanks a bunch guys.

it's high. you can run with it if you want, but it will be pretty hard to shock at that level, esp without a fas-dpd test. your shock level is 35.
the cool thing about this site is that the methods will work. but you have to follow them to a T. crossing your fingers will never work ;) you can use www.thepoolcalculator.com to figure out how much bleach to add.

You and your pool will be much happier with a CYA of 50 rather than around 90!

Please do yourself a favor and lower it to at least 60, but 50 would be better. :wink:

Have you seen Recommended Levels in Pool School?
Also, check out the Chlorine/CYA Chart so you can get a better understanding of their relationship.

Please add your pool's gallons in your sig. :)

what would be my best way to lower CYA. After yesterdays shock there was very little dead algae and there was none living when I shocked. Im doing the overnight FC test tonight. Water is sort of clear. Looks good from a distance, but once up close its kinda milky and underwater with a mask its like 1% milk. I backwashed the filter and it came out 2% milk for about 8 minuites then went clear. AM I really now just waiting on some POP? Gotta let the filter do its job. Im running 24/7 right now. I usually have the timer set to run 6 hours in the day (from noon to 6 our hottest point) and 6 hours at night (midnight to 6 a.m.) But Im hoping the extra 12 hours will help it.

The only way to lower CYA is pump out water and replace it with fresh. So you'd need to replace about 1/3 of the water in the pool. Because you have a vinyl liner, you want to keep your water at least 1' deep in the shallow end.

So based on your specs you'd pump out at most 2' and then refill. Based on your specs I'd guess that would be about enough. You might get away with less, like 1.5', if your water is on the expensive side.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.