Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Challenger pump rebuild

1. Back To Top    #1

Challenger pump rebuild

My Challenger pump motor burned up on me, so I'm in the process of replacing it.
    I got a pump seal replacement kit, and I'm trying to figure something out.

The seal that has the spring in it...
    How does it go? I've installed it on the shaft with the shiny black plastic end facing the motor and the end with black rubber o-ring towards the impeller, is this correct?
    The other way didn't look right either...

Of all the schematics I've seen, none has been clear enough to make out which direction this goes, and I assume getting it right is important.

If it matters, it is a Pentair 2hp Challenger High Output pump.
    In-Ground. White Marbelite plaster. 21'-7" x 38' Figure Eightish Custom diving pool with 9' deep end. 24,750 Gallons. Pentair Challenger 2 hp pump, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP420 Cartridge Filter, Paramount PCC-2000 In Floor Cleaning system with Debris Canister. Pool/House was a foreclosure that sat dormant for at least 2 years, and was an actual swamp. Using BBB and POP I made it a sparkling backyard oasis. I have a TF100 kit, and I know how to use it (mostly!). This is my FIRST REAL pool, but thanks to TFP, I know what I'm doing! (mostly!).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Challenger pump rebuild

You've got it right. The shiny end makes contact with the ceramic face of the other half of the seal.