Pool motor doesn't start

Sungar

Jul 1, 2016
San Diego, ca
Once again I come to you for words of wisdom...

yesterday i I went to check on the pool and the filter motor wasn't running. No sounds coming from it at all. Turned on and off and no change. Opened the back and part of the capacitor had melted. Cool, easy fix. Ordered new one from Amazon.

installed it this morning and the motor will now hum but won't start. I left it on a little bit looking around and it started to smoke with the sickening electric smell (bad). Turned it off quickly.

i opened the filter side but can't reach the blade to see if it will spin. Suggestions on what to try next?

thanks in advance.

There is no way to hook up the capacitor wrong.

Can you spin the shaft?

Check the centrifugal switch is not stuck too.

Although given all the burning smell, guessing you need a new motor at this point.

I hate pools. Or maybe it's just the pool equipment - not sure.

took it apart and impeller turns freely. Played around with connections and now it rattles a couple times and turns off. No more humming though. About to give up and call a pool guy - it's been a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.