Located leak at skimmer (after pressure and dye tests) - Ideas on best repair method?

Apr 24, 2017
Miamisburg, OH
I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section....

Greetings! After spending nearly 2 weeks doing various tests, I located a leak at my skimmer, just inside around the gasket intake. I have taken some short videos (links below) of the dye being drawn into the leak spot and have some questions about the best way to go about repairing this issue.

Here's the short of it:
- I have 1 return, 1 skimmer, (main drain is abandoned, disconnected/separated from pump and plugged)
- I am losing approx 1" of water/day. This has gotten slightly worse over the summer (started about 1/2"-3/4" per day - chalked it up to evaporation loss initially)
- Bucket test showed signs of a leak.
- After I had all lines pressure tested (once last year, and again yesterday) - both came back with no problems at all and they are holding pressure just fine.
- I initially suspected the main drain plug. I inspected it and put some dye (saw no suction) and tightened the plug considerably. Seems to be doing fine.
- I have checked all other areas around the pool with dye (no leaks - some cracks in paint is all I can find)
- This evening decided to test skimmer again with pump off. After injecting dye in different areas of the skimmer, I finally found the leak.

Additional info:
- Next year, before opening, I am having the pool drained/repainted. I have a concrete bottom with fiberglass top (Buckeye Pool) which was built in the 70's and needs to be repainted about once every 5-6 years. I will also likely be cementing/sealing over the main drain to further strengthen it from eventual leaks and deterioration (it was abandoned due to a leak, I am guessing), but I may have it pressure tested while the pool is drained to be certain before sealing it off - wouldn't mind having it reinstated if it works!

Here are videos of the leaks:
Skimmer Leak 01 (0:08 secs) https://youtu.be/24OWTDR1lHg
Skimmer Leak 02 (0:11 secs) https://youtu.be/_TkYC8ytXG4

You can see a small bit of separation between the inner skimmer wall and gasket (where the meet). I can find no other suction anywhere in the skimmer line currently. Is it safe to assume after thoroughly checking all other parts of the pool, this could be the sole culprit of about 1" of water loss each day. I noticed the leak ceased when I let it drain down to the bottom of the skimmer as a test earlier this week.

My questions:
- Considering, I am going to be doing some major work on the pool next year, is there a way to quick fix this type of leak for now? (Just to get me through the rest of the season essentially.)
- What is the best product to use for this type of leak in your experience? If I am able to "bandage" it until I can address the actual skimmer itself, will I need to drain down below the leak, or can it be done in water?
- What would be the suggested fix for the long run? Am I looking at a whole new skimmer, some adjustments/new screws, sealant, etc?

A bit frustrating that I missed this when it is was right under my nose all the while, but it is what it is. Hoping I can get my water bill down a bit for the remainder of this year. I will probably close the pool in September sometime, so I am hoping to find a remedy that would get me through a month or so without having to run the hose each day.

I appreciate your input, everyone! I can post more pics if it helps.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the help, everyone. Due to the location of the separation being where the wall meets the perpendicular skimmer cover/front gasket, do any of you suppose it is worth applying some marine sealant into the crack first, followed by the epoxy? I know that marine sealant is a bit more flexible. My thought is that it might help inside there, if there is more separation in the future due to expansion etc. Then again, maybe it is not good to try to use both products together? I have not worked with the putty before. I guess I am trying to figure out if it is "squishable" enough to press into that space so that it fills it somewhat.

Looking for a store that has 2 part now, so I won't have to wait on Amazon Prime 2 day shipping :)

It's like play dough. Cures under water and it's all you need. You can make it look a little better with a dry setup but wet works fine too. I used it on my light and skimmer. My skimmer pipe is about broke off and I have it holding there on that skimmer pipe for 8 years now.

12k IG Fiberglass, Pentair Intelliflo, Intellichlor I/C 40, Quad 60 DE filter. TF 100 test kit

Thanks! Yeah, very much like clay. Pretty easy to work with. This stuff will come in handy for sure.

I had called Leslie's this morning and they had it in stock, so we were thinking the same there. About $4 more than Amazon, but I didn't have to wait.

Here is a pic of the end result. Haven't seen the water level drop yet...fingers crossed for the next 24 hrs!

2017-08-18 14.48.26.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.