San Diego Electric Rates, YIKES! New pump time?

Aug 9, 2014
San Diego, Ca
Hello all

I've been browsing a bit, trying to gather information about energy saving pumps, and not finding much about replacing a still-operational pump strictly for energy savings. Here are my specifics:

In-ground pool (25,000 gallons) single-speed pump 1.5HP Hayward Northstar SP4015NS, built in 2004, no spa attached. The system includes solar heat on the roof, a Hayward Swimpure Plus chlorinator, Hayward Navigator robot, and a Hayward Swimclear C4025 filter. The pump and chlorinator are controlled by a 24 hour mechanical timer, which I like for its simplicity. To keep the chlorine levels up in the summer, I run the system about 6 hours a day. Wintertime, it runs about 2 hours a day, sometimes I'll skip a day. The robot is in the pool all the time, due to uncooperative upwind neighbors and their 11 palm trees, of which one is always flowering. Water features of the pool are controlled by separate pumps, which run only minutes a day, not a concern at this time.

Recent restructuring of the San Diego Gas & Electric electricity tiers have made a HUGE difference in our bill. The first tier is now 21 cents per KWH for everything under 530 kWH, and second tier hits hard at 43 cents for everything above 530 kWH, and we're into the second tier in about two weeks of the four week billing period. There is no more third tier.

Can a VS pump help me with electrical consumption?

If so, which one? I'm not stuck on Hayward if another brand is better.

I am a capable do-it-yourselfer. Will I have warranty issues if I install myself?

Thanks!

Gerard
gfpool01.jpg

20170816_230539.jpg

That's sounding like electric rates down here. I feel your pain! That pump will be costing you around $600/800 a year.

It's mostly about budget. For less than a couple hundred you can swap out the motor for a two speed and easily save back $200 or $300 per year.

You might be able to get your run time down with the existing pump. It's hard to justify changing a pump, strictly on dollars, if you're losing the rest of it's useful life.

A shiny new VS pump is nice to have though :). If you can swing it, it will also save you a few hundred a year, and you'll certainly have the flexibility to achieve the lowest possible running cost.

By the way, it sounds like you've done a better than average job of keeping your pump time down closer to what's possible! :)

Get the Pentair Intelliflo VS. Its a 3HP variable speed pump. Just run it at low speed 24 hours a day and you'll save millions a year on electricity and the pump will last forever. It is so quiet too you won't even know its there. I have the littler version and love it. Everyone on here has the Intelliflo and will swear by it. I believe there's currently a rebate from Pentair on it for $100 off and you may have rebates from your utility company.

It is easy to install yourself, but you won't get the warranty.

My utility offers a $400 rebate for a VS pump and $100 for a 2-speed. Make sure whatever you get is on their list of approved pumps for rebates. I think the utility might require it to be professionally installed so check the rebate terms.

There is a $200 rebates offered by SDG&E for qualified pool pumps --> SDGE

Hayward also offer $75 if installed by a qualified Licensed professional and I guess, 3 years warranty. DIY, is limited to 1 year warranty if I am not mistaken. The choice is yours and good luck!

Howdy neighbor. Yep, rates are ridiculous here in America's Finest City.

Go with a VS pump. We did and it made a big difference. Got a $200 rebate from SDG&E for a Pentair Intelliflo, which we installed ourselves. We're still in second-tier territory most of the time, but our bills have dropped significantly. We have a large pool and probably run the filter more than we absolutely need to. The VS does make a difference though. Good luck.

Its probably little consolation but I wish I had your rates :(
As I am a 'low energy user' of about 360kwh a month I get the discounted rate of 35.5 cents plus a supply charge of around $12 month
A standard user pays around 40-45 cents
And then whack 15% tax on top

I understand the pressure to get your monthly costs down

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.