Possible suction leak

George D

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2017
Bellmore, NY
I read a few threads about adjusting the valve that controls the skimmers and the drain and that it may be safer to adjust the valve to weaken the power of the drain. I kept my valve at the 6: position, 50% skimmers and 50% drain. I have 2 skimmers. I adjusted the valve to 75% skimmers and 25% drain.
When I turned the pump off, a little water splashed out of the pump and the pump lost prime. The sound was like a loud whoosh. I thought I had a suction leak. So I read some helpful threads and Pool School for suction leaks and I tried to troubleshoot my system but the problem remained. I also noticed some water loss after I turned the pump off at night. I usually run the pump between 9-10 hours a day.
After I adjusted the valve back to its original position, the pump did not lose prime anymore but I noticed some water loss even though the pool was mostly covered with a solar cover.
There is no leak at the waste port.

Is it normal for the pump to lose prime after adjusting the valve that controls the skimmers and drain?
Is it possible that I need a new liner?
If there is an underground leak wouldn't my pump lose prime after turning it off? I own the house for almost a year and the previous owner did not use the pool for the last 5 years.

Update: When pump is turned off everything seems fine. No bubbles and no leaks.
When I turn the pump on the next morning, the pump needs to prime for about 20 seconds however there is still water loss overnight with the pump off only.
Any ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.