Do you allow glass around your pool?

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I'm sitting here looking at the futz floating on the water of the pool and wishing I hadn't mowed on a windy day. I'm also having a libation and it occurred to me I might want to start drinking out of cans for safety. Just curious if you allow glass beverage containers at your pool.

Never a good idea to have glass anything around the pool, even an above ground pool. A glass container is less like to be knocked into an AGP and break, however it is more likely to break if knocked to the ground from 4 feet high. Not too many people wear shoes to the pool, so the risk of injury is high if glass breaks on the ground. If it breaks in the pool it can cause injury, damage liners, and potentially damage the pump. If broken glass does successfully navigate the pump and filter, you still have to deal with it when you clean the filter. Clear glass has the extra bonus of being next to impossible to see underwater.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also a nope at our pool. Not even glass bottles or drinking glasses. All plastic on the deck.
We have a deck that meets up against the AGP at the rail level and a lower patio below. Last year the glass patio table shattered on the lower patio area and glass was everywhere EXCEPT in the pool. If it had been on the deck, we would have had glass in the pool, a ripped liner and possible cut feet.
Learned a good lesson. :whip:

+1 on Tervis tumblers at the pool. They have a lifetime guarantee. You can exchange them at one of their storefronts or through the online site. Took 11 really old ones into the Ft. Worth store and walked out with 11 new ones, no questions asked. Wow!

No glass near the pool. I keep a decent stock of Govino plastic wine glasses instead. They feel like a laser-cut Riedel, so they're the next best thing for wine IMO.

I've had two issues with them though: some guests think they're disposable, so my collection has shrunk, and some think they're dishwasher safe, so my collection has warped. (even on low-energy wash)

Tervis and I bought some really cool shatterproof cups that look just like real glass.

My wife hates drinking beer out of a can so I got her the bottle keeper. It's like a stainless steel cozie koozy that covers everything except the very top of the beer bottle to drink out of. It has a top if you want to mess with taking it on/off each sip, but she doesn't. Sure it's possible to still break it if it were to land just right, but it's a heck of a lot harder. She doesn't drink that much beer so it's been fine so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.