Number of turns in pipes when replacing filter

gakran

Aug 27, 2007
I am replacing my filter and backwash valve, but my current system uses a 4 port multi-valve. The physical layout is shown in the figure below. I cannot find a replacement for this type of valve, so I want to use a modern backwash valve.

The new backwash valves have the pump inlet and pool outlet on the same side of the valve. Would adding a 180 degree turn from the outlet of the multi-port to connect to my heater reduce my flow enough to cause problems?

I suppose I already have a 180 turn in my current system (multi-port to bottom of filter), and I would be able to eliminate the second valve that diverts to the drain. Perhaps this compensates for the new 180 turn?

Any advice is appreciated.

filter.jpg

2 extra turns will not have a noticeable effect on the flow rate.

Doesn't the valve mount directly to the filter? I guess I am a little confused.

Yes, the drawing should have the multi-port valve very close to the filter. The "top" port of the valve in the picture is connected by a very short pipe to the top port of the filter. The opposite port has a 180 turn to connect to the bottom port of the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.