Raised spa vs flush spa.

I think much of it is just aesthetics. Won't even say which I prefer, doesn't matter. Only thing I will say is the I am pretty sure flush spas are a little more difficult to get in and out of.. ours is flush and every time I use it I wonder if it will be difficult in, say, 10 or 20 years, or as I get older..

My neighbor has a raised spa that developed a leak, and his PB said that raised spas are more prone to leaking. Not sure if there's any truth to that provided the spa is built correctly, but there is significant effervescence/build-up on the outside of the spa wall where the leak is (which you wouldn't see with an in-ground spa). Also, he can't shut down/bypass the spa because his pool was plumbed in such a way that it will not heat properly with the spa closed. Said he's losing 5" of water a week ... gonna have to get the entire thing rebuilt next year, $50k+ project (including new plaster, tile, and coping).

I don't think it really matters. I do like the raised spa and the waterfall that it creates when not in use. I like sitting outside at night next to the pool with the lights on and listening to the water in the background.

Functionally, it might be more difficult to filter the water in the spa if it is completely isolated from the pool. Most spas that I have seen have a spillway back into the pool so that some of the water, after being filtered, can flow into the spa and over the spillway and the remainder can be diverted to the pool. It might be difficult to find the balance where the water taken from the spa is returned at the same rate while also diverting water to the pool (without a spillway). I know when our pool is in pool mode there is no suction out of the spa drains. You might need dual filters and dual pumps for a separate spa setup like you mentioned.

Although, in your picture it looks like there is a hole (spillway) even though it is covered with coping / tile.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.