Brand new here with a cloudy water problem.

Jul 19, 2017
Erwin
Hi Y'all. This is Southern Mama and I'm new here from Tennessee. I have a quick set above ground 15x36 pool for my kids. I had hoped this would be easy to take care of but it hasn't been. Just got an Krystal Clear Intex 2500 Gph cartridge filter today and hooked it up. Seems to be working fine so far. Also, just bought a couple of new testing kits today. Got a Pool Master 5 way tester and some strips just for the CYA level. So here goes.

Free Chlorine is 0.6ppm
pH is 7.2
(Forgot to test bromine)
Total Alk 120
CYA 30-50 ppm
Didn't do the acid demand test since it was already at the level it said not to go below. I think that's right.

Not sure what else to test. Along the way I've been reading up on pool school a tad and used the Pool math thing to figure out how much bleach to add to shock the pool. I've used Cal-hypo and Bleach. The Cal-hypo seems to have a tad more life.

When I first got the pool it was clear for a few days, then after 4 days, it started to tinge green. Knew I needed an actual shock instead of just a floater so I started out with Cal-hypo. Then, the morning after was back to crystal clear water. A week later, I shocked the pool again at per the weekly schedule. The next morning, I had cloudy water with what looked like shredded tissue paper floating all through the water. Got on here, found out about white water mold and shocked the poop out of the pool to kill off the mold. I didn't let the kids swim for a few days since the chlorine was too high. After a couple of days, the chlorine levels, according to the Clorox Brand 3 ways test kit, said the levels were back to a good level but the pH was 8.4!!! Went out immediately, got some dry acid and started adding it to the water. Since then, the pH has been hovering between 7.4 and 7.8. Still, cloudy water. So, I added an ounce of water clarifier. Saw a ton of that white tissue stuff floating around again, decided to shock the poop out of it again and run the filter 24/7. The little filter pump that came with the pool sucked. Still cloudy after a week. So, that is why I upgraded to the huge pump. I don't know what else to do with it. I add shock at night, the next morning, it's great numbers around 4 ppm. By the time the sun sets, my water is back to below 1 ppm. Usually around 0.6 ppm. My CYA is fine and not too high so that shouldn't be burning up my chlorine. I'm at a loss. I'm gonna run the new pump all night tonight and see how it looks in the morning after shocking yet again. Gonna use bleach tonight. The test strips said my total hardness was a tad low but still in the low 100 range. I couldn't afford the expensive Taylor kit since I've already spent a fortune on chemicals and the new pump. :(

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there SouthernMama, welcome to TFP!

Some quick thoughts:
1) Cal-hypo can make water cloudy. Your vinyl pool doesn't even *need* calcium. Best to use just plain bleach and regular CYA (as needed). That way you don't get unwanted "other stuff" in there like that calcium.

2) Don't add clarifier, they just gum up your filter something terrible and can cause other problems.

3)You complained about the filter yet you "upgraded to the huge pump"... does that "huge pump" incude a larger filter...or what? Cause what you need is filtering and plain unscented bleach. Not much else.

4) What is this "Shock" you keep adding?? It may be complicating your problems if it is granular.

5) If you'd not bought all those chemicals you'd have had money to buy the test kit you need. I'd still suggest ordering the TF-50 now just to get you going in the right direction. Its a smaller kit, but doesn't what you need. Check it out on TFTestkits.net

6) GET SOME BLEACH IN THAT POOL!! Have you figured out PoolMath yet? It will help you with quantities.

Read --> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Maddie :flower:

Hey, thanks for the reply. The "Shock" I've been adding the the typical granular Shock cal-hypo stuff from walmart. I have stopped using that and now am only adding bleach. Also, didn't add anymore clarifier. The new pump that I bought also had the huge "filter" to go with is so we're good there. The new filter and bleach has made a great difference just today in my pool. The free chlorine is still super low after adding the bleach so I will add more tonight and continue till I see results. Will continue with bleach and let the new filter run for the next few days. We'll see how it goes.