just started using BBB

First, I'm going to cease all swimming for the weekend and see if my FC holds. Then I'll know if any of my sneeky kids or the neighbor kids really are peeing in the pool. There really is something to that saying..."there's no P in our OOL, let's keep it that way"!

I will post back Sunday morning with my findings.

On a different note, does anyone have any advice on purchasing a new liner...where, what kind etc. I don't know the first thing about liners so any advice is encouraged. Also, my brother swears by this cushiony pad that he put under his liner. Anyone know about those. Ours is currently on sand, but we did get alot of wrinkles.

super big thanks,

8corneflakes said:
First, I'm going to cease all swimming for the weekend and see if my FC holds. Then I'll know if any of my sneeky kids or the neighbor kids really are peeing in the pool. There really is something to that saying..."there's no P in our OOL, let's keep it that way"!

Someone here posted that at their house, they tell the kids that if they need to pee, go over in the grass by the hose to do it, and wash off with the hose before getting in. I thought that was brilliant, the grass won't mind since it is watered in and it will keep the ammonia and such out of the pool.

Look what I just installed on my pool deck! Oh, and I had to change my sign line too.

It is with a heavy heart that I have to report my scientific findings with regards to my FC not holding through the night for 20 days. I started BBB with a very green pool, after about a week, I finally gained ground and my pool started to look much better. After two weeks, my water was crystal clear. However, my FC refused to hold overnight. I was loosing at least 4 ppm per night. Hmmm. I took out the ladder, scrubbed the skimmer, and brushed the pool twice daily. All this, to get the pool perfect for my six kids and four neighbor kids, as I hardly ever swim.

Getting frustrated, the pros gave me some advice and suggested that perhaps my kids were peeing in my pool. HOW DARE THEY? My perfect little children? :thequeen: Quite honestly, my husband and I had never even spoken about pee in the pool to the kids. We think it's gross, they know we think it's gross. Anyway, finally I asked my three year old if she ever pees in mommy's pool. "umm yea." she says. :grrrr: When put in an interrogation room with a swinging dim light bulb, all but one of my kids admitted to peeing in the pool. Don't worry, a sibling ratted her out too. My son claims that he never pees IN the pool, but often pees in his shorts on the deck and then jumps in to rinse off. :roll: I also spoke to each of the neighbor kids. Within two days, my FC slowly started to hold. Now, almost a week later, I pasted the overnight FC test. :whoot:

Chem-geek opened my eyes to the long term harm done to the water when even one person pees in the pool. In case anyone is wondering, he stated that the amount of FC lost in my pool was equivalent to over a gallon of pee. :shock: YUCK! Now I know why my toilets stay much cleaner in the summer.

Durleigh advised that I should report if pee in the pool was the reason of my lost FC. Maybe there is someone else who is dealing with what I was dealing with...please let me not be the only one! I think he just wants to warn everyone to stay away from my pool!! :lol:

Regardless, over the three weeks it has taken to get my pool in order, I have scored a wonderful tan and killer biceps! Best of all, a really clean pool that I'm so proud of! To all of you newbies like me...DON'T give up! Oh, and don't pee in the pool!

Thanks to Duraleigh, Chem-geek and everyone else who has offered wonderful advice!
toiletpaper013.jpg

This whole thread was puzzling to me. I PM'd 8corneflakes and had her go over all the things she should be doing to get the FC consumption reduced to normal in her pool. She was doing everything correctly and I was stumped.

I PM'd Richard (chem geek) and gave him all the background. He said it sounded like the only plausible explanantion was ammonia (from pee) that would, in fact, cause FC to be lost overnight.

He suggested finding a good time to pull the kids from the pool (gulp!) to see if that was the answer. It turned out Theresa had a perfect opportunity to have the kids out and the answer presented itself.

Kudos to chem geek for having the knowledge and the logic to think it thru and kudos to Theresa for being such a good listener.

Theresa, you are hilarious. I guess you have to have a great sense of humor with 6 kids and all those neighbor kids hanging out. I'm glad you got to the bottom of your problem. I think it was really perplexing a lot of us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.