Hole too big for yard? Very worried

Chaba5 you should have seen my reaction...first when they painted it out on the ground (looked way tooooo small) second when they dug the hole and framed (oh my gosh that is huge) and we are sitting on an acre lot! It's all very deceiving to the eye. I do thank you for the chuckle this gave me. No not laughing at you but at myself just ask Kim and Suz. If you are after a hotel like feel I think you will hit the nail on the head with this build! Hang in there and keep asking questions and posting pics! My opinion is don't use photo bucket just become a supporter of TFP (Gold is best bang for the buck) and you will be able to post all the pics you need. At least this is how it worked for me...check out my link below in my signature line (hint...you need to create a signature liane as well).

All will be well with the awesome folks here on TFP!

Hi! Thank you for your advise. I love gardening, that's my hobby. I love growing my own vegetables and spending time taking care of plants. I feel I'm not going to have a lot f green space. I really need to work on how we are going to incorporate all of that around the pool.

My other concern is that the pool is 17 1/2ft wide but if you add the spa and tanning ledge area is 22 1/2. I hope it doesn't look too wide. I'm thinking changing the spa to a just all around raised spa in lieu of the infinity edge. What do you think?

Good morning, Chaba!!
I love what you have now for the spa. It's very difficult for me to imagine in my mind what you are considering for a change to the spa. I always need a picture! Lol!!

Why are you thinking about changing the spa?

I think you will have plenty of gardening space to keep you busy. Now, you will have a beautiful pool to cool off in when you are hot and tired from gardening!!!

I will point out that with the infinity edge or exposed spillover, it gives a place for birds to land and get water, which results in a lot more bird poop. At least that was my experience with former pool.

Talk with your PB and express your concerns on space then trust him...personally I think the infinity edge makes the whole project stand out and uniquely yours!

Hi! Thank you for your advise. I love gardening, that's my hobby. I love growing my own vegetables and spending time taking care of plants. I feel I'm not going to have a lot f green space. I really need to work on how we are going to incorporate all of that around the pool.

My other concern is that the pool is 17 1/2ft wide but if you add the spa and tanning ledge area is 22 1/2. I hope it doesn't look too wide. I'm thinking changing the spa to a just all around raised spa in lieu of the infinity edge. What do you think?

View attachment 66332This is the design.

- - - Updated - - -

We always wanted a hotel like pool. We decided to do it on this direction in lieu of the traditional going parallel to the house. Hope it looks ok. Feeling very nervous.

Love your wood deck on the side also, great pool design! If I had the yard for that I'd do it also. We too are going with wood deck, I hope I am up for the maintenance required with it. :)

Don't worry! I had the same thoughts as they were digging! As it comes together you will feel more comfortable with the size. You can check out my built thread in my signature. Our pool takes over a large portion of our once beautiful lawn. But I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Hi! Thank you so much for your feedback. I have another question, we always wanted to go with Salt water but the pool company keeps pushing for chlorine. What are your thoughts on that? It seems like everyone I've asked has a Salt water system. I've heard is way better for the skin. Need some advise. Thanks.

A saltwater pool IS a chlorine pool. The SWG cell just generates the FC from the salt in the pool instead of you having to manually add the chlorine every day.

The salt can make the water feel a little better on the skin and eyes, but you could add salt to any pool even without the SWG cell and have the same effect.

Usually the concern about salt though is damage to soft natural stone around the pool, like the flagstone that everyone in TX seems to get. Stay away from the flagstone and you likely would not have a problem with the salt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Travertine should be fine ... no idea what leuders are ;)

It is really only a concern when the salt water is allow to dry on the stone and the salt builds up in the cracks and only in climates where rain does not wash it out regularly. You could rinse the deck on occasion to have the same effect.

If I had one major regret it is I didn't go about another 3' in size so most people have the opposite concern. I think yours looks great and fits the yard beautifully. Are you going to keep the play set or is that going? I think you will be happy with the extra width in the end. One other minor regret I have is letting my PB talk me out of a SWG.

Yes, we are moving the swing set. We are leaving it for another year or so. We are moving forward with salt water. Not sure why the PB insist so much to go with chlorine/ozone system.

My builder in Houston was adamant that we do Salt. I guess he is the only one. Is a chlorine pool more profitable to install for them? Why do they push chlorine so much? Old habits die hard?

My builder in Houston was adamant that we do Salt. I guess he is the only one. Is a chlorine pool more profitable to install for them? Why do they push chlorine so much? Old habits die hard?

It's not about profits but about sub-contractor warranties. Many of the subs used by PBs, not knowing the first thing about water chemistry, would blame any and all problems they were having on salt water. So, in an effort to stem losses from warranty claims, the subs (mostly on the masonry and decking side of the business) told the PBs that if they intended to install salt pools, they would not honor their warranties and the PB would have to fix any and all future issues on their own dime. Well, no PB really wants to be responsible for the pools they build and so they basically stopped building salt pools. But, in an effort to keep clients happy with "the latest tech" they would offer gimmicks like the Frog Sanitizers and Ozone injectors. The fact of the matter is, poor water chemistry and pool owner neglect are the cause of 99% of these issues but, rather than try to address that problem head on with being better informed and teaching pool owners how to care for their pools properly, PBs just took the easier way out....

It's not about profits but about sub-contractor warranties. Many of the subs used by PBs, not knowing the first thing about water chemistry, would blame any and all problems they were having on salt water. So, in an effort to stem losses from warranty claims, the subs (mostly on the masonry and decking side of the business) told the PBs that if they intended to install salt pools, they would not honor their warranties and the PB would have to fix any and all future issues on their own dime. Well, no PB really wants to be responsible for the pools they build and so they basically stopped building salt pools. But, in an effort to keep clients happy with "the latest tech" they would offer gimmicks like the Frog Sanitizers and Ozone injectors. The fact of the matter is, poor water chemistry and pool owner neglect are the cause of 99% of these issues but, rather than try to address that problem head on with being better informed and teaching pool owners how to care for their pools properly, PBs just took the easier way out....

Hmm, I guess my PB either has good subs that are okay with salt or he is willing to go on his own and pay for any warranty issue. Hopefully I never have any issues and its a moot point.

Hmm, I guess my PB either has good subs that are okay with salt or he is willing to go on his own and pay for any warranty issue. Hopefully I never have any issues and its a moot point.

Seems to be more of an issue in some Texas markets than others. Austin, it seems from reports on TFP, is very difficult to find PBs willing to build SWG pools. See this thread from a year ago -

Texas vs. SWG - What is the deal

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.