Thinking of going BBB ??????

reebok said:
just a suggestion with you being in texas and having a large pool, an SWG would be a viable option for you for the convenience factor alone.

We have thought about the SWG but just weren't sure what to do. I've heard stories both ways. The lady at the pool place told me that you were not ahead on any expensive because some high dollar part has to be replaced every 5 years. But, I know that I am tired of having a nice pool in my yard that's working me to death.

:party: We made it.... Clear and Blue :-D

Now for my next question...

I think I read on a post somewhere not to check pH until the FC drops to around 10. Is this correct?

Also, as far as continued maintenance... From what I understand, I let the FC drop to 4-6 ppm then add the needed amount daily to maintain that level. Do you shock the pool as part of the weekly maintenance or only when it starts to look cloudy? Also, when you do a standard shock, do you hold it at shock level like I have this go around (until you achieve the 3 goals)... Sorry to ask so any questions, but I am having to learn pool lessons all over again.

HotNTexas said:
:party: We made it.... Clear and Blue :-D

Now for my next question...

I think I read on a post somewhere not to check pH until the FC drops to around 10. Is this correct?

Also, as far as continued maintenance... From what I understand, I let the FC drop to 4-6 ppm then add the needed amount daily to maintain that level. Do you shock the pool as part of the weekly maintenance or only when it starts to look cloudy? Also, when you do a standard shock, do you hold it at shock level like I have this go around (until you achieve the 3 goals)... Sorry to ask so any questions, but I am having to learn pool lessons all over again.

PH: FC Below 10...Correct. :goodjob:

As for shocking, a properly chlorinated pool rarely, if ever, needs shocking. In 2 1/2 seasons, I have only shocked my pool before leaving on extended vacations9-11 days, and for winterizing...so 5 times total.

So if you use the CYA chart, and keep your FC above the min at all times, you shouldn't ever have to shock. If you find the "target" listed isn't enough to keep you over the "min" after 24 hours, then increase the target by 1ppm. So if you target 6 and it ends up at 3 the next night, target 7 the next time...see if that keeps you above 4. Every pool is different, so you'll have to "get to know" your pool.

IF you are having company with multiple swimmers, bump the FC up by about 2ppm in advance and check the levels when they are done...don't be a slacker! LOL

Enjoy your trouble-free pool.... :wink:

Ok, so we finally made it to the sparkling water stage and now I'm letting the FC level fall to within normal range. I checked the FC level last night before bed and it was 16, this morning its 14.5. I know that during the shock process, you only wanted to lose 1 ppm overnight, with mine dropping 1.5 ppm, does that mean that there is still something in the pool consuming my FC?

I am waiting on my FC to hit 10 before I adjust the pH, but from what I can tell, its on the low side. Between 7.0 and 7.2. Not sure if that would affect the FC dropping.

During the shock process, I had gotten to the point where I was within the 1 ppm overnight. But then I noticed last night that I had lost more than that again.

Here are my results from this morning.

FC 14.5
pH 7.1
TA 90

I haven't retested these

CYA 48
CH 250

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last night was the first night that the pump didn't run all night... I thought that since we were dropping to our normal FC range that it was ok not to run it all night.

I tested right before they got it... But they were probably only in about 10 minutes.

hmm well, was the pump running for at least 30 mins before you tested? if not, the test is definitely flawed. if it was, then you can cross your fingers and hope all is well, which it may be, or I would continue shocking today and try again tonight. did you test for cc's?

This morning the pump probably had not been running for 30 minutes. CC's are still low... Probably .2 or so... Just barely pink

I am paranoid about my sparkling water not holding. If you think I would be better off to shock for one more day, I'm ok with that.

if you're paranoid then I would recommend doing it one more day and make sure to follow the overnight fc loss instructions, including running the pump 24 hours because you may not be done yet :\ but if you aren't, it sounds like you're really close.

Now for my next question.....

Today is the first day to really let the FC drop. When I left for work this morning the FC was 9.5 so I came home for lunch to do another check because I'm not sure how much my FC will vary from day to day. So I get out the blue OTO test box thinking that I am probably in range to test that way now, do my test and my water shows maybe .5, so I'm thinking "oh Crud" I've already let it drop below my minimum on day 1, so then I get out the big kit and test that way. It shows my FC level to be 8.5... So since going to the BBB method do you have to test the FC with the big kit each time or am I having some type of malfunction?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.