Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New believer in conversion, I'm doing it!

1. Back To Top    #1

New believer in conversion, I'm doing it!

Hey all,

I've finally had it with the baqua hassle and I'm converting as soon as I have all the supplies (test kit, chlorine, new filter).

I've read many of the posts and learned quite a bit and gained the courage I need to do this. My wife will be doing most of the chlorinating and testing because she's home during the day. After reading up on the posts, I think we can get it done in about 7 days.

We'll try to post as many pics as we can because I feel I owe it to this outstanding forum that has been created here. It's truly amazing.

One thing I'm concerned about is the green algae bloom I've got from the recent high temps and rainfall we've had. Will this affect the conversion?
    Above ground, 24 foot round, vinyl liner 13,500 gals.
    1 HP, 75 GPM, Cartridge filter, Kon-Tiki sucker thingy
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New believer in conversion, I'm doing it!

You will have a higher chlorine demand but if you follow the conversion procedure you will also kill the algae. The only difference is that you will go through more chlorine and the process will take a bit longer (but not THAT much longer).

3. Back To Top    #3

O.k. thanks,

I recently added a bunch of the baq algecide and it looks like it killed it, so maybe it wont be so bad.

By the way, that test kit is expensive! But in the long run, it'll be worth it.
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey waterbear,

I read one of your posts that mentioned sodium percarbonate. I like the idea that it shortens conversion time. Where can I get it?
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

They have it at The Chemistry Store.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Greetings to a fellow Floridian!!

Glad to see that you are making the switch. I started my conversion yesterday and the great people of this forum have been most helpful and encouraging. If you are interested, you can check out my progress here.
    24' Round AGP | 13,600 Gallons | Waterway Cartridge Filter | Waterway 2 Speed Pump | K-2006 Test Kit
    100% Trouble Free Since The Baqua Conversion

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi fortmyersmark,

Glad to hear we'll have another converter and sounds like you have done your homework, too

We'll be waiting for the pix

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi and welcome!

Please do post lots of pics!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay I'm going to Leslie's for my test kit and chlorine. Probably start today.
    TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Be sure to get the test kit with the FAS/DPD test for chlorine (DPD is not correct....FAS/DPD is). Converting without it is problematic.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah, that's the one I WAS going to get, but I called them and they didn't have it, I posted too soon.

So, I'm gonna order the one from TFP, which is what I should have done in the first place.
    TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

While I was reading thru the posts, someone mentioned that they ran out of a certain chemical in their test kit, so I was thinking about ordering some refills when I order my kit. What is used most during conversion?
    TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

An extra bottle of the FAS/DPD reagent is not a bad idea. It's the item most frequently depleted during a conversion. the DPD powder amount seems to be adequate for most everyone.......be sure to use the small scoop part of the spoon....not the flat paddle handle.

FWIW, The most common refill item is CYA reagent. Since we/you know you don't have any CYA (yet) there is no need to test for it.

When your conversion is complete and you have added CYA, you should calculate your dosage carefully and should hit your mark with two tests. I think there's enough reagent in there to provide 7 tests and you should not have to test again but maybe once the rest of the swim season.

Check your PM's
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Hi

That would be the R-0870 DPD Powder and the R-0871 FAS/DPD. You will definately go through lots of these, well not so much the powder , but I did because until I got the feel for my pool, I tested the chlorine everyday with it after my conversion. Now that I have learned what my pool water "likes" to keep it happy, I just test with it once a week. Good luck, you won't regret it!!
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by fortmyersmark
    Hey waterbear,

I read one of your posts that mentioned sodium percarbonate. I like the idea that it shortens conversion time. Where can I get it?
    I used sodium percarbonate for my conversion. I did end up having to use some bleach, but only about 12 bottles. So in my case it definitely made the conversion go faster. I think the sodium percarbonate eats up the Baquacil that's in the pool, but then there was still some left in the lines so I had to finish up with bleach because I was all out of the sodium percarbonate. If you do decide to use it, I would recommend buying more than you think you'll need, just in case.

Good luck with your conversion. I know you'll be so happy that you switched. My pool has never looked so good.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks everyone (mickey4paws, pepsiholic, duraleigh), the sodium percarbonate route sounds good, and I plan on using chlorine from the pool store 'cause it's more concentrated.

I just wonder if there's a place where I can go and get the sodium percarbonate rather than getting it from a website.
    TF-100 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

The procedure for converting from Baquacil by using sodium percarbonate is in this PDF file. However, you can no longer order the Clearview OXYplus mentioned but can order sodium percarbonate from The Chemistry Store here for under $3 per pound.

I don't know if you can get sodium percarbonate in standard stores -- I doubt it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

18. Back To Top    #18

How much should one order for an above ground, 24ft,round pool? I'd hate to order too much or too little! LOL!!
    Intex 20x52 above ground pool-
    10600 gallons
    1 man 4 woman Bullfrog Hot Tub
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pitguy3/se ... 763801706/
    ROLL TIDE!

19. Back To Top    #19

If you want to use sodium percarbonate, read the directions that Chem Geek linked to again. They contain the answer to your question. Just keep in mind that the sodium percarbonate instructions don't quite finish the job. It is best, when you get to step 5 in those instructions, to switch to a bleach conversion (as described at Pool School) to finish things up. Also, keep in mind that while sodium percarbonate is normally faster, it usually ends up being more expensive that the bleach you would have used to do the same thing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks Jason!! I'll check it out tonight. Posting from my iPhone and haven't read the PDF.
    Intex 20x52 above ground pool-
    10600 gallons
    1 man 4 woman Bullfrog Hot Tub
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pitguy3/se ... 763801706/
    ROLL TIDE!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast