Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ProLogic PS8 wired with Tristar 2-speed Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

ProLogic PS8 wired with Tristar 2-speed Pump

Hello. I have ProLogic PS8 and Tristar 2-speed pump. The way the electricians hooked it up it is unintuitive. If I press Filter once, it is in high mode. If I press Filter a second time, the pump turns off and blinks low mode. I have to press Aux3 to turn on the pump again. To get it back to high, I have to press Aux3 to turn off the low-mode pump, press Filter twice (once from low-to-off, twice from off-to-high).

My assumption was that by ONLY pressing the Filter button, it would cycle through the modes. Aux3 adds added complexity (and possibly a danger if Aux3 + Filter[high] were on at the same time.

Help? I'm not wizened in the ways of pumpery and control systems, but I can sure take instruction back to my pool builder and make him fix it!
    AG, 13,500 gallons, 3/4 hp, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ProLogic PS8 wired with Tristar 2-speed Pump

It is certainly possible to set things up so that the filter button cycles between off/high/low. It won't switch to low speed until the pump as been on for 3 minutes or more however.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Any hints on what needs to be done?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the configuration menu, you need to set the Filter Pump to 2 speed, and then whichever aux relay controls low speed, probably Aux 3 in your setup, needs to be setup in Low Speed of a 2-Speed Filter Pump mode.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Follow-up on how we got this working.

According to Hayward technical support (thanks guys!), it was a matter of going under "function" for Aux3 and setting it to "Low Speed". Now, the Filter button correctly cycles between Off/High/Low. When you have it go to Low speed, it starts a 3 minute countdown, first.

I'm thrilled.

Edit: Which is exactly what you said, but I didn't get that until after I had already got it working. And thanks to you, too!