Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Site Prep Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Site Prep Question

I was very excited because the installer called last night & said he can come Monday afternoon with the Bobcat to grade & level for our 24' x 52" pool. My first reaction was "Yay" ... but now I'm worried because we have not killed the existing grass with commercial grade Round-Up in the area as we had planned (we've had Bible School every night this week & it's been too late when we've gotten home). We were planning to spray with the Round-Up this morning as we marked the final location. Is it really necessary to use the Round-Up anyway if he's going to grade out & remove the existing grass. Is putting Pramitol 5PS granules on the sand in the prepped area enough to take care of any vegetation regrowth? Should we put the Pramitol on the graded dirt before the sand is placed? The grass in that area is part of our lawn & is a mix of well-established fescue & centipede (although not as much centipede in that area as the other parts of the lawn).
    24' x 52" AG round - 13,500 gallons - 2hp 2 speed BaquaPure pump, Pro Clean cartridge filter, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Site Prep Question

Did they tell you that you needed to do that? My guy just came in a dug everything as is. I got excited because I thought I was going to have a ton of sod to do with as I pleased, but alas... he said it would be unusable. He also never mentioned putting anything else down on the soil, just the big ole pile of sand that was there for the installation, which the installers made quick work of.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I think that the installer would handle all of that stuff. Best to ask them.

Pramitol is some strong stuff and will pretty much retard and eliminate anything short of mesquite. The problem with Pramitol is that is can also kill nearby shrubs, grasses, and trees that are well away from the treated area simply by runoff and dripline contamination. In order for it to work like it is supposed to, it needs to be watered in and you need to control where any runoff goes.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

once they put that pool bottom over the dirt, no grass is going to grow. No sun, no grass

5. Back To Top    #5

I had a few sprigs of nutgrass grow up through my liner in my last pool and they had treated the ground too
    So this time I'm using the gorilla pad and hoping that won't happen again.
    18ft. Arcadia Round AGP - 19" Sand Filter, 1 hp pump
    Foam cove/ Gorilla Pad/ Wedding cake steps
    Sta Rite Lil' Shark cleaner and Aquabot Pool Rover cleaner - Aqua-Luminator light and return flow w/fountain attachment
    Added Borates 5/19/09 Taylor K-1005 and Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Tests

6. Back To Top    #6

They will dig the sod up when they level the grade,no need to use roundup.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

7. Back To Top    #7

You can also throw a layer of very heavy duty landscaping fabric down over the dirt before the sand. We did with all of our pools over the years and never had anything grow through.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks so much to everyone for their responses. We put down a lot of Pramatol on the bare dirt after the grading was complete. Hope I'm not jinxing it, but I feel fairly confident that will take care of it! This is a great forum with some of the most helpful members I've ever had the privilege of "meeting."

Don't worry, I'll be back ... in fact, I may be composing another question-filled message later today regarding new pool start-up!

24' x 52" AG round - 13,500 gallons - 2hp 2 speed BaquaPure pump, Pro Clean cartridge filter, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

We are facing the same dilemma with removing the grass this weekend. I have read several posts on this site where using chemicals under the liner was not a good idea because of possible degradation of the liner itself because of out-gassing, fumes, etc.

We have started looking at the different underlayments for the pool bottom. I priced out the weed proof material at Lowes…and to do our pool will cost almost as much as the Gorilla pad. Gorilla is one… Anyone have an opinion on which is best…or what to stay away from?
    Travis & Kathy
    16x32 AGP (extra return outlet installed), Pentair Dynamo Pump (1.5HP, 60+ GPM), Sta-Rite Crystal Flow Sand Filter (300 lb), Clear Diamond Solar Blanket & Reel, Pool-Skim
    Aqua Trol SWG (also controlling the pump), TF Test Kit. (Everything self installed, up and running on 08/02/09)
    Enjoying the TFP site and appreciating the infinite knowledge of it's members... and I'm slowly learning how to maintain our new pool the BBB way!
    Four Winds Spa (love the tub...hate the filtration system). Best water quality in four years using the BBB method

10. Back To Top    #10

90% of the time grow thru of the liner comes from a plant next to the pool that is getting sun and then it branches of and grows under and through the liner. Keep at least a foot around the pool grass and weed free.