Persistent cloudy water -- no visible improvement

May 29, 2016
Wooster, OH
This is my third summer as a pool owner and my third year using the TFP method for maintenance (thanks for all the widsom!). I originally opened my pool in May, and everything went great. I had sparkling clear water--better than it has ever looked--for 2-3 weeks before I started having problems with my pump. This lead to several days where I wasn't able to circulate or filter the water at all, during which time things started looking cloudy. I've essentially gone back to square one with startup.

I now have a brand new pump and filter system installed. It's been running 24/7 with shock level chlorine for about 4 days now, and it doesn't seem to be making any progress. The water is a milky white color and the bottom of the pool isn't visible. After 2 days of not seeing any change, I followed the steps described in Pool School for adding DE to my sand filter, but this hasn't made a visible difference yet.

Here are my most recent test results. Everything except FC and CC is from after I installed the new pump but before I started the SLAM:

PH: 7.5
FC: 19 (higher than it needs to be, but I decided to take it to the maximum recommended shock level to make sure I killed anything in the pool)
CC: <0.5
CYA: 30
CH: 125
TA: 190 (I know this is high, but I have been under the impression that this number isn't as important with a vinyl liner)

No chlorine loss overnight. I've been brushing every day. I can post pictures of the water later if it would help.

I fill with well water that is high in iron, so at the beginning of the season I have been using the paper towel/polyfill trick to remove as much as possible, followed by an HEDP-based sequestrant. I imagine the SLAM has negated any remaining sequestrant.

I know that what I most likely need is some pool owner patience, but pool season is nearly halfway over here in Ohio, and if there's anything I can do to speed along the clearing process, I'd like to try it. I know TFP recommends against flocs and clarifiers, but they're starting to sound tempting...

Do you have the ability to vacuum to waste?

Yes

It might be poor circulation. Set the vacuum in the pool laying on its side or upside down so it pulls in clkoudy water from down deep.

Interesting. I have been adjusting the angle of the return periodically, but I never thought about this. I only have the kind of vacuum that attaches to the skimmer for suction -- would that work? How long should I try leaving it in place?

Reporting back: after 2 days of leaving the vacuum on its side, there's been marked improvement. The bottom is now visible, though the water is still somewhat cloudy.

Is it safe to leave it in like this for another day or two? Also, what can I do during normal operation to ensure proper circulation?

Thanks!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.