New to a baqu conversion

test results

FC=4
cc=2.5
tc=6.5

here is my question?
when i first did the fc test after 3 drops I the water turned clear and as i was opening another bottle it turned pink so i kept adding till I got to 8 then it stayed clear, is this right? or should i have stopped at 3 drops?

also after doing the cc test and having it turn clear about 5 min later i notice it is pale pink did I do this right?

help?

Also dont forget I already added stabilizer per pool place :(

When doing the FAS-DPD test the sample should turn completely clear and stay that way for 10 to 120 seconds to indicate that the FC portion of the test is complete. The amount of time you have before it turns pink again is normally more than a minute, but it can be much shorter if you have a high CC level. Generally you only need wait about 10 seconds, while checking that there isn't any slight bit of pink left, and then go ahead and add the R-0003 to continue to the CC portion of the test.

The sample will turn pink again eventually if you let it sit long enough, regardless of when you stop. If you take too long doing the test, this can throw off the results. You don't have to race along, but you also can't go answer a phone call in the middle of the test.

2nd results after some practice

For the FC when I added the powder the pink color was very very light pink...is the normal?
Then every time I added a drop it would instantly turn clear so I would wait about 10 seconds, at or around 10 seconds it would turn pale pale pink again...when it got to the point where at or around 10 seconds it would stay clear I stopped adding a drop, is this the correct procedure?

my FC was 4

For the CC I added the 5 drops it turned bright pink. I would then I would start dropping, swirl. ( I did not pause for 10 seconds during this test just kept adding drops till it cleared is this correct?Each time it would get lighter pink at 7 drops it turned clear. So I figured my CC to be 3.5

CC 3.5

with a TC of 7.5

I went ahead and did a Ch test. Not sure if I did it right. I need to know for this test as soon as the water turns blue you stop adding drops right? but what about the little pink specs. I had blue water after 20 drops but still had pink specs floating. So I figured my Ch to be 200. Did I do this correct? or was I supposed to keep adding drops until everything turned blue water and specs???????

Ph was easy...I got a reading of 7.3

If these sound correct can I go ahead and plug into pool calculator and add more Turbo Shock?

Also since I already add the CYA in the beginning should I test it too?

I need help! getting confused.

The pool is very clear today just faint greenish color?

(PS the pool guy called to day to check on us..he recommeded to add just 1-1lb bag of the Turbo Shock tonight and then 1/2 a bag tomorrow? need adice.

First, ignore the pool store guy.

Sounds like you did PH correctly.

I wouldn't worry about the CH test for now, since you have an AG pool, determining the correct level can wait till conversion is complete.

The FAS-DPD....don't wait 10 seconds between drops.

You add the powder, swirl, it turns pink. If it doesn't turn pink, you add more powder. Then you start with the drops. You add one, swirl for MAYBE 1 second between drops. You will see an instand color change from pink to clear, and that's when you stop counting. When it gets down to 1 and .5 FC, the color is a very pale pink. It help to do the test on top of a white paper towel so you can see the pale shades. Don't let it sit for 10 seconds between drops. That's too long.

Try again.

I suspect, based on your description of the very pale pink upon adding powder, your FC was very low, which would explain why 1 drop turned it clear. I suspect your FC is .5.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
THe CH test is not important right now, it's a simple yet complex test that takes a long time to complete.

I would just wait till you are done converting and focused and then you can test for it.

CH is not necessary for an AG pool so it's not really anything to be concerned with at this point.

Okay thanks...The main reason I am concerned with the CH is because as mentioned early I am using the Turbo Shock...and I believe Jason mentioned that it will raise my CH levels. Mine were 220 at the beginning at his figure were that I could use 12 bags and be okay with my CH Levels? Should I worry about it or not...just go ahead and use the turbo shock bags since I only have 6 left and then switch to bleach?

TizMe said:
How much powder are you adding for the FC test? Maybe your not adding enough thats why its turning clear so fast when you add the drops.

I am adding 1 heaping spoon of power per the kit directions. Should I be adding more? Like 2 spoons. When I add the one spoon it is a very very faint pink, but enough for me to tell when it goes clear after a drop of the liquid reagent.

I will retest and see.
thanks

You're adding enough powder.

For the CH, Jason said this earlier:

JasonLion said:
You are just fine with CH up to about 300, and you could go a little higher if you really need to. Since each pound of cal-hypo will increase your CH level by about 5.6, you can use about 14 pounds without any problems. I expect that the entire conversion will require more chlorine than that. Hopefully you didn't buy more than 14 pounds of Turbo Shock, and can switch to bleach after that.

So if you only had 12, I think it's okay to use up the last 6, if you like and then switch to bleach.

just added 1 pound bag of shock and did test per your directions.
Add pool water the 1 heaping spoon and started added drop, then quick swirl. I didn't wait at all this time (the 10 sec) just dropped drop in, swirled added next drop. When I got to 9 drops it quickly went clear. I stopped at 9 drops and x by .5. Gave me an FC of 4.5. It went light pink and I added the CC reagent and then started with the drops again. For CC it went clear at 12 drops so I figured a CC of 6.

So my FC is 4.5
CC is 6
TC 10.5

How does this sound? We only add 1 bag of the shock for this result about an hour ago. I plugged the FC in to the pool calculatar and it is saying to get the FC up to 15 I need to add 22 oz of the turbo shock..Should I go do this now? or wait a couple of hours? Need advice

Add more chlorine. You want to get it to shock level.

justmarried1220 said:
just added 1 pound bag of shock and did test per your directions.
Add pool water the 1 heaping spoon and started added drop, then quick swirl. I didn't wait at all this time (the 10 sec) just dropped drop in, swirled added next drop. When I got to 9 drops it quickly went clear. I stopped at 9 drops and x by .5. Gave me an FC of 4.5. It went light pink and I added the CC reagent and then started with the drops again. For CC it went clear at 12 drops so I figured a CC of 6.

So my FC is 4.5
CC is 6
TC 10.5

How does this sound? We only add 1 bag of the shock for this result about an hour ago. I plugged the FC in to the pool calculatar and it is saying to get the FC up to 15 I need to add 22 oz of the turbo shock..Should I go do this now? or wait a couple of hours? Need advice

You did it correctly this time :goodjob:

You want to keep the FC at 15. Anytime you test and it's below 15, add more chlorine. Until the Turbo Shock is used up, use that, when it's gone use bleach.

You have to keep it at 15 to oxidize the Baq. If you let it drop too low you won't make progress.

Update just checked levels

FC .5
CC 6
TF 6.5

Going to top of FC with some more turbo shock..I am still really worried about the Ch getting out of control and having another huge problem..is this a real fear?

Also here our some new photos...how does it looks so far?
Is this weird color normal?
This is the clearest it has been for weeks..so I am excited about that!

HPIM2549.jpg

HPIM2547.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.