Sssccchhlightly Ssscccchtained Ssscccchhhsteps

Jeff Lebowski

May 29, 2014
Virginia Beach
Small, 8-10K gal in ground Salt Pool. Hayward Goldline. Well water - clear right out of the hose but I don't dare drink it. My well is shallow and there is a pond behind my house filled with runoff from a golf course and 50 lawns.

OK, I am a lousy pool-boy. Plus I travel. As such my chem tends to dwell in the "kinda sorta needs attention" section. My plastic steps have taken on an oh so slight discoloration and are now off white. As in, ugly and kinda brown. So is the white plastic on my tri-wheel pool monster-sucker-upper.

Leslies says the pool chemistry is in decent shape every time I schlep them water. They usually go on for a bit about some Alkalinity-Up and a touch of Phosophorus mumbo-jumbo. But, the chlorine is usually decent and only every so often does it need conditioner. My salt level wanders a bit when it rains like mad.

My salt cell just failed and was replaced with a new one from The Salt Pool Store. Its a generic t-15 unit. $269 with a 5 year "warranty". My last one lasted barely 3 years.

So, is there an easy way to get my steps pearly white again? I tried dumping 2 cups of granular chlorine into a sock and then rubbing that bag back and forth across the steps and all I got was a VERY hot hand. Talk about a cool experiment! The pool got a bit cloudy, which I figured was crud being freed up to be sucked up, but it didn't bleach the steps in the manner that I had hoped.

My steps aren't rank nasty or anything, just not shiny white as they used to be. Have I screwed the pooch in grand fashion? Or, are there menial steps that I can take to ameliorate my discolorate?

It is most likely iron stains from a slow build up from the well water. Plastic/fiberglass items like steps and skimmers are the first thing to show signs of staining. It is easy to test and easy-ish to treat. Put a vitamin C tablet on the step and see if the stain disappears. If it does it is iron. If you are lucky a dose of Proteam Metal Magic will lift the stain and sequester the iron. If not then an ascorbic acid treatment might be needed.

More here, Pool School - Pool Stains

Holy cow you guys are FAST.

Not having any vitamin C readily on hand and already being under the influence, driving was out of the question. I was forced to dig deep into my shallow bag of cranial chips. As I peered deep into the abyss of my mind I also peered through the lexan-lid of my jumbo YETI. As fate would have it, that tumbler contained one half of one lime. You see, I had just recently reloaded it with a jumbo Gin n Tonic. And as fate would have it, my slightly skanky pool contained a comely lass of most appealing proportions..... a foreigner with a schessxxxxy accssschent I might add. Her come hither stare (while biting her lower lip) prompted immediate action on my part.

I fished that little green mother out of my cocktail and dove into said mungy pool. I immediately commenced with squeezing and rubbing....ON THE STAIN.....and found to my unbridled glee that the step nastiness disappeared (as so many other comely lass's have in my sordid past) when ssssscccchmeeeared with lime juicsscchee.

So, I bought some ProTeam Metal Magic from Jeffrey Bezos and I will add it to the pool as soon as Mr Fedex plops it on my stoop.

THANKS for your help. You guys never disappoint!

Not without cost however. Now he has to go get another slice of lime before it will make ANY sense to pour another G&T.

Side note: a friend of mine has a casual patent on his new drink, the Gin-Zilla. Vodka, Rangpur Gin, tonic + lime. Very refreshing, but you may not remember drinking it.

This would seem to build off the allowance to use citric acid instead of ascorbic acid. Good times. What a neat connection and potentially easier/faster test spot protocol. Only consideration might be safety to plaster vs the vitamin tab? Over my pay grade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.