Is there any risk to boosting the FC to crazy high levels before going on vacation?

Clyde

Jun 6, 2016
Western Connecticut
Hello. Due to my CYA level, the pool math calculator says I need to keep my FC around 9. If I am going on vacation for a week and know how much cholorine I lose per day, is there any risk to boosting the chlorine to a crazy high level with bleach like I typically use (let's say 20 or 25) so that by the time I came back, it will be back to normal? Let's also assume no one will be using the pool while we are away. Or is it easier to go back to the pucks for a week while I am gone?

Bleach doesn't get used up as a fixed amount per day. It's more of a half-life thing.

HalfLife-1.gif

So if you boosted it to 25, in about 6 hours you'd be down to 12, and another 6 hours, to 6. I imagine the slope of 25 FC would be well below the 10FC line on that graph so it would lose it even faster.

You need to ask someone to come pour a certain amount in every day or pack a floater full of pucks and know you've raised the CYA and will need to replace some water or maintain higher FC in the future.

If you have a solar cover you can try leaving this on while you are gone. Works for me, but not perfect. You raise the FC level, then roll out the cover. I've only tried this for one week at a time. "Your mileage will vary."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.