Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Haywars Sprocket Gasket, best adhesive to use??

1. Back To Top    #1

Haywars Sprocket Gasket, best adhesive to use??

We have a Hayward pump and sand filter, and water is dripping out the waste, we replaced the spocket gasket dry, and water is still leaking, I see now that there needs to be adhesive used, but it looks like around $30 a tube , and I can't find it in stock locally. I was wondering what other adhesive will work, I see some people use super glue, but what happens if you need to replace it again?

Any help would be greratly appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Haywars Sprocket Gasket, best adhesive to use??

Use the super glue VERY sparingly. Put 4 or 5 dots of it around the track and set the gasket in place. That will hold the gasket in place without making it a PITA next time.

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, but I'm confused, how will just a couple of drops of Super Glue keep it from leaking? I got the impression it needed a good coating, remember I just put in a new gasket and it's still weeping out the backwash. Is there something else causing the leak?

4. Back To Top    #4

The gasket itself creates the seal, with no extra sealant or lubricant required. The glue is just to hold it in place when you change positions on the multiport. The valve also depends on the force of the spring to pin the rotor in place against the gasket, so if the spring looks deteriorated or the handle grinds from position to position rather than moving smoothly, you may want to rebuild or replace the handle/rotor assembly.

5. Back To Top    #5

OK I'll look into it more after work. If it's not a sealant issue, why do you think water is still weeping from the bakwash?

6. Back To Top    #6

Either the gasket has been warped, worn down, or pushed out of the track, or the rotor isn't being pushed down hard enough.

7. Back To Top    #7

OK thanks, the gasket I just put in this weekend, how do I check the valve not pushing down hard enough, is that part rebuildable, or is there any tension adjustment?

8. Back To Top    #8

No adjustments. It's mostly a matter of feel. When you press down on the handle and turn it, is the motion smooth and the spring tension strong, or is there a lot of play in the handle and grinding between the positions?