Pump loses prime on skim line, drains skimmer basket competely

Jun 25, 2017
Portland, OR
Hello, First time poster, been reading these forums for 4 years or so, since we bought a house that had an inground pool. So I don't know too much about the construction details, so if you see something I can add to my signature, please let me know.

Now for the problem: yesterday I had a bunch of people (about 8-10) in the pool ...I wasn't paying particular attention, as we had a bunch of company.... anyway at some point they started doing cannonballs and I still had the filter running. Next thing I know the pump was sending a nothing but air through, so i kicked everyone out... bottom line is that I can run the filter through the bottom drain with no problems, but whenever I try and open up the skimmer line, the pump gets to almost primed, then all the water in the skimmer drains completely out and the pump losses it prime and starts over. rinse an repeat ad nausem.

Does anyone in the community know what might be the cause and better yet what might be the remedy?

Please let me know any details I can provide that will be helpful,

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the forum!

Probably the pool water level is too low. Water level should be mid-skimmer or higher. Cannon balls = Lost water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.