SWG problem

Jun 4, 2017
Houston
I just purchased a house with a SWG. The previous owner's pool guy was running chlorine tablets in the pool. I am working through several issues with the pool, and have solved many of them by reading this website and getting the testing kit from here with salt water testing strips. I have been keeping the chlorine up with 10% liquid bleach from home depot but now am trying to get the SWG running, so now to my problem.

When I started last weekend, the pool controller was reading a salt level of 2200 ppm and was giving the warning of "Extremely low salt" I tested with the salt test strips and recorded a reading of 2230 ppm. Since then, I have set the SWG to 0% and added 80 lb of salt.

My controller is still reading "extremely low salt" and is now showing a reading of 2000 ppm. The test strips indicate a salt level of 2,860 ppm which lines up with the addition of 80 lb of salt.

The salt cell is a Haward T-Cell-15. I do not know how old it is, but I know it isn't new.

The controller is an Aqualogic controller installed in 2005 with the pool.

The results of my water test from last night:

FC 3.5
CC 0.5
CH 225
TA 90
Salt 2860 ppm

Have you inspected the T-cell for any deposits? Clean if found per manufacturer recommendations, see page 29 of the user manual

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/AquaLogicAQL-P-4OperationManual.pdf

If all is good there, using diagnostics starting on page 30

What are the readings from the diagnostic menu (page 32)?

How long has it been since you added salt? I find it may take 2-3 days for the level to stabilize

Thanks for the link. I was able to use the acid bath on the cell as directed and a LOT of scaling came off in the bucket. I let it soak for half an hour with periodic rinsing and the bubbling had mostly stopped. I reinstalled the unit and re calibrated the salt reading and it is working great.

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.