in ground spa blower issues

Jun 22, 2017
Round Rock
All,

I just purchased a new home and am a 1st time pool owner. I've owned the house about a month and have learned a lot about the basics but clearly am no expert. I did purchase a very good home warranty that covers pool so I'm going to summarize my current issue:

One night i decided it was time to test out the in ground spa. Turned on the heater and bubbles and was ready to get in. For the first 2-5 minutes everything worked great and then the bubbles just shut off. I had to turn off the blower for 30 min or more, then it would restart and shut off again after 2-5 min. I called the pool warranty people and they sent out a tech to replace the bubble blower (I think it's a 2hp Silencer blower). After replacing, the same issue occurred. I did a little more research and decided that this could be back pressure causing the thermal fuse to trip. To test, i took the blower off the pvc tube and turned it on -- sure enough the blower ran for more than 1 hour without any issues. As a result the home warranty authorized the tech to come back out and install a valve (glued the valve to the PVC, then glued to a plastic fitting that blower sits on). The blower can still freely come off the top - i assume that this is a safely thing. The good news is that with enough manually adjustment i can get the bubbles to stay on. MY PROBLEM: whenever i turn on the blower, the back pressure is so strong that it pops the blower right off the PVC intake pipe. The only way to get this to work is to leave the value open, turn on the blower then go back over and slowly adjust to just the right setting to get bubbles to come out. This just isn't a feasible solution and -- if I close too much, the blower pops off even if i do it manually!!

As a side note, now that I've at least figured out a way to get the bubbles to stay on, I notice that the 90% of the bubbles come out of a few holes. there are some that have bubbles but are weaker and some that don't have any at all. The bubbles do come out of the bottom of the pool and have good strength but aren't evenly distributed. Is there a way to clear out the holes at the bottom of the spa or at least validate that they are clear? Also, some of the holes don't look fully open - almost as if they weren't fully formed when the plaster was put in?? Not sure if this is relevant but I thought I would mention.

Sorry for the long rambling narrative. Hope this makes sense. I look forward to any assistance that this forum can provide!

Regards,

Fraterpm

Is the valve they put in intended to bypass the air from the blower or is it in series with the blower. The later makes no sense because you would want it open all the time. Restricting the air flow would make it overheat.

Can you post a picture of the assembly?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.