Green Pool - Need Help

ZackCB

Jun 22, 2017
Amston, CT
First time post, long time reader here.

I have a 16'x32' vinyl inground pool with a Hayward Superpump and 300 lb sand filter in Connecticut. I'm estimating it to be about 18,000 gallons. I use a TF-100 test kit. The pool has been cloudy green for a few weeks. I have been running the pump 24/7 and it's not getting any clearer. Here are my numbers from last night:

FC 35 (I went a little overboard with the last addition of chlorine out of frustration. I know my shock level is 20 based on the CYA.)
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 140
CYA 50

I checked the chlorine again this morning and it was still 35 so it passed the overnight test.

I took a water sample to the pool store to see if their results were close to mine. They said my chemicals were balanced except TA and CH. They measured my TA at only 100 and should be increased to 125-150. Also, my calcium hardness was really low and I needed to add 19 lbs of their product. I thought that wasn't necessary for vinyl pools so I didn't buy it.

About a month ago, I cleaned out my sand filter for the first time since I moved into the house (5 years ago). The laterals looked fine. I then replaced the 300 lbs of sand with 150 lbs of Zeosand. I followed the instructions on the bag - long backwash and rinse before filtering, which I did twice. Could the Zeosand be causing the pool to be green?

Here's a pic of the situation:

pool2.jpg

Thanks for all your help!

Zack

Hey! :wave: Good job on doing your own testing, good job on not buying the pool store product! First, one important thing to note when testing TA-when R-0009 is fresh, like yours is, it has a tendency to want to "jump off" the tip before fully forming. We put on our testing instructions to wipe the tip (I use a damp paper towel) between each drop. This goes away in a week.
Second, I don't think it's the sand, I think it's algae. Continue to SLAM it hard

Agree with OTPirate good job on the test kit, keep the chlorine in check with your CYA and keep that filter running, keep brushing and vacuuming the pool, I always did a quick brush after each adjustment of chlorine. The filter will need time to work.

I checked the chlorine level this evening and it dropped from 35 down to 18.5. I backwashed the filter, vacuumed and brushed the walls. Then I added 2 gallons of concentrated bleach. The water is a little clearer than yesterday but still green.

These are the dog days of the job Zack. Really nothing else to do at this point but to keep doing what you are doing. Keep that FC in SLAM and keep feeding that filter, it wants to win as bad as you do.

Keep us posted and if you get a minute, fill out your signature, that always helps folks out to get a better understanding of your set up and equipment. I have been surprised how the pros around here can pick up on things included in signatures and offer solutions very quickly.

I personally don't let my kids swim if the water is green but if it's not green and just fighting the last bit of clarity, Mom bribes them with a cookout and they always go for it. Interestingly the activity does help move that water and get that filter fed, so I guess it's a win win.

Thanks funandsun!

Is it ok to swim in the pool with the FC at shock level? We haven't been in it the last few days since I bumped up the chlorine, but my kids really want to swim.
The pool looks a little cloudy to me. Never swim in a pool that is not clear enough to see the bottom of the deep end clearly for safety reasons. A swimmer in distress may be overlooked in a cloudy pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool looks a little cloudy to me. Never swim in a pool that is not clear enough to see the bottom of the deep end clearly for safety reasons. A swimmer in distress may be overlooked in a cloudy pool.

Thanks for the advice. The pool is less cloudy now, but still tinted green. I can now clearly see the dive rings that my kids threw into the 8' deep end. They are young and only swim with their life jackets on so they're never below the surface of the pool anyway.

Can you post up a picture of that? It isn't Rio Olympics clear and green is it? The emerald green but really clear?

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I had a really busy weekend. I took this pic yesterday evening. The pool just cleared up on it's own over the weekend after about 4-5 days with the filter running 24/7 and chlorine maintained at or above shock level.

pool3.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.