I have created an 18' Whirlpool

Jun 22, 2013
I installed a 200lb sand filter and 1 1/2hp Hayward pump on my 18' Intex pool. I also installed a Hayward in wall skimmer. This pump can turn my 7000 gallon pool in 2.6 hours. (overkill I know, but it was $132. in October on Amazon and I had continuous filter issues before that). The problem I have is the amount of current it creates is huge. It also appears that when debris gets into the pool it just spins in circles, and never makes it to the skimmer.

My thought was to close my valve some and restrict the flow going into the pool but I am afraid that would put pressure on the pump or the valve on top of the sand filter and cause damage. My pressure reads 12psi. It didn't seem to increase when I closed the valve half way as a test.

I would appreciate some advice on this. I opened the valve back wide open for the time being. I am in the middle of a slam, but the OCLT test tonight should be good.

My other question is run time. I have a timer coming. I uncovered the pool Thursday and installed the new filter/pump on Friday. It has been on 24/7 since then. The water is super clear :) Can someone give me an idea of how much time I should actually be running this pump a day?

Thanks in advance!

The most efficient solution is to downsize the impeller of the pump.

A throttling valve would reduce the flow rate but energy use would only reduce a tiny bit.

The most efficient solution is to downsize the impeller of the pump.

A throttling valve would reduce the flow rate but energy use would only reduce a tiny bit.

Adding more returns and the other options mentioned aren't really an option. I would like more info on this option if you could steer me in the right direction. If I downsize the impeller, won't the pump still use the same amount of energy if it runs the same amount of time? How do I decide what impeller to put in it, and where can you get them from? I assume I could make this change myself?

I will post the model of the pump I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Hayward 1 1/2hp

Model SP1593FP

If I downsize the impeller, won't the pump still use the same amount of energy if it runs the same amount of time?
No. Energy consumption is determined by the load on an induction motor and the load is determined by the impeller.

What is the actual pump model (e.g. SuperPump SP2610X15)?

No. Energy consumption is determined by the load on an induction motor and the load is determined by the impeller.

What is the actual pump model (e.g. SuperPump SP2610X15)?
359531f7690b0b23c8bebf7b838c7912.jpg
cf5be4cdae0a38344bb9e90796b7b871.jpg

Ok, so here are the replacement impellers depending on the size you want:

SPX1500F - 3/4 HP
SPX1500L - 1 HP

Your current pump would probably produce about 53 GPM

The 3/4 HP - 48 GPM
The 1 HP - 50 GPM

In this case, there is not a lot of change of flow rate with the impeller size so you might want to consider a two speed pump.

Also, have you tried just point the return down a bit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SO is that how they change the HP rating of a pump, or this is for a 3/4 HP pump, but will fit my pump and change the flow rate? Interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

and... If I change the impeller, and feel I need less still, would reducing the flow with the valve hurt the motor, or any of the other equipment, or just not be effective energy wise? Thank You for your advise!

A pool pump is really made up of two parts, the wet end (i.e. pump) and the motor. Each has it's own separate specifications and ratings. The HP rating of a pump (i.e. only the wet end) is determined by the impeller. However, you also need a motor attached to it that has a rating at least as high as the impeller or the motor will overheat.

For this pump, I would not bother replacing the impeller because it is not going to reduce flow rate much. A throttling valve could reduce the flow rate much more and no, it will not hurt the motor unless you shut off the flow completely. However, the valve must always be put on the pressure side of the pump. The only downside is that the motor will draw nearly as much power as when on full flow.

So if I read that right, I wouldn't increase power consumption by throttling? I have a timer on the way so I will have to limit power consumption by figuring out a correct run time schedule. At full flow my psi is 15. After closing it to what I need to not over flow into the pool it increased to 20 psi.

Throttling actually decreases power a little bit but not by much (5-10%).

Also, note that flow rate is somewhat immaterial to run time (i.e. number of turnovers is not important). The only thing that is important is adding chlorine and circulating. But with that size pool and manual dosing (?), that can happen in just a few minutes.

I run my 20k pool only 4-5 hours per day so I am sure you could get away with 1-2 hours per day.

Wow, I had no idea. I figured 6-8...lol. Love the info on this page.

Yes, with the way this pump moves water it doesn't take but a few minutes to distribute the chlorine. Thanks again!

I ended up replacing the 3/4" eyeball with a 1" eyeball, and pointed it downward. It made a huge difference. By the time I changed that, and throttled it a little bit, I was right back to the same psi as the 3/4" eyeball wide open.

I had your same setup for a year. I had no problems with the pool or pump/filter. You just need to get a bigger pool now

Did changing you eyeball to 1 inch help with the debri going to the strainer vs just circulating around the pool?
Yes, it reduced the pressure coming out of the return which decreased the rotation. It is working much better, but I think part of my problem is the water level in relation to the skimmer. My water level is almost to the top of the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.