Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: adding salt to improve feel of water

1. Back To Top    #1

adding salt to improve feel of water

Hello,
    Since my baqua conversion about a month ago, my pool water is awsome...but I am thinking of adding salt to the water to improve the feel like a lot of people have done on this forum. I was just wondering if adding salt is going to affect anything else in the water, like chlorine, ph, etc. I don't want to mess anything up!! I've been keeping my FC at 4 to 6 (CYA is 50), PH is 7.8, TA is around 170-190...just thought it would be fun to see what the salt can do for the "feel".
    Is it ok to use the regular water softener pellets in the bags and how exactly is the best way to add it? right into the pool?
    Thanks again for the help...you guys made my conversion wonderful!! Pool water is sparklin'!!!

Curt
    24' AGP (13,600 gal)
    Sand Filter with 1.5hp pump
    Lancaster, PA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: adding salt to improve feel of water

This Pool School article has the answers to all of your questions. Scan down till you see the section on Salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason...I thought I saw that info somewhere before in my reading, but just couldn't find it again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction...that answered my questions!!!

Curt
    24' AGP (13,600 gal)
    Lancaster, PA

4. Back To Top    #4

I just added salt to mine and I love it! Cost me about $35, well worth it.

But looking at your numbers it looks like your TA is too high...

Dave
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

you also may want to consider adding borates...with salt and brates, I have never had softer feeling water.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

I second the borates. significantly softer feeling, and I had 1800ppm salt.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, now you got me thinking...if I want to go the borates route, I know I will have to get my TA down....but if I would go the boric acid route, do I still need to worry about the TA??

I know that this way is a bit more costly, but seems to be easier??

I'm still a bit confused about the whole "borates" thing, and I even read the article about it!!

What do you all think would be the best route?....it might take me awhile to get my "high" TA down to range??

Thanks
    Curt
    24' AGP (13,600 gal)
    Lancaster, PA

8. Back To Top    #8

Regardless of how you add borates, it is best to lower TA before adding borates. It can be done in the other order, it is just a little more annoying that way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

how much salt is generally applied, and will it affect my ch?
    33K IG 1967 45' X 20' Roman 4-8 ft plaster/gunite. Triton Sand, 1.5 HP pump. Indoor with Screen Atrium top. Bought a Swamp with Nails Glass and Trash with An Algae Encrusted Astroturf Surround. On par and thankful to TFP since 4/2010. A good test kit is your friend! Using a K-2006, refills from TFTest kits.

10. Back To Top    #10

When adding salt to improve the feel of the water, 2000 ppm is a good level to aim for. Be sure to measure your starting salt level, it will never be zero. Salt does not interact with CH at all.

11. Back To Top    #11

excellent. i really appreciate it!
    33K IG 1967 45' X 20' Roman 4-8 ft plaster/gunite. Triton Sand, 1.5 HP pump. Indoor with Screen Atrium top. Bought a Swamp with Nails Glass and Trash with An Algae Encrusted Astroturf Surround. On par and thankful to TFP since 4/2010. A good test kit is your friend! Using a K-2006, refills from TFTest kits.