Ascorbic Acid Treatment

DOMO

Bronze Supporter
Mar 13, 2013
Rowley, MA
Hi all. So this is on the heels of another post about where to find ascorbic acid. So, I've done the AA treatment, followed by a dose of Jack's Magic Blue Stuff as sequestrant. I am now bringing chemistry back in line, starting with Ph and Alkalinity, and a slow increase of chlorine. I now have 2 questions;
1. Do I need to do a backwash at some point for the sequestrant?
2. When I was replacing my slimmer sock 2 days after AA treatment process, there was translucent gelatine like deposits all over the skimmer sock. They were rather thick in consistency and all over the skimmer sock. What is this?
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. We had to go out of town for 2 days so I was slowly bringing the chlorine and Ph levels back up by way of a baking soda treatment before we left and putting pucks in the chlorine feeder. But came home to a completely cloudy pool yesterday. I assume this is due to extremely low levels of chlorine?

The walls still appear to be white so knock on wood!

My filter pressure was up so did a backwash. Still very curious as to what the gelatine like deposits were on my skimmer sock in the 24 hours following the AA treatment?

Thanks. We're a FG pool so we typically don't have issues with algae. I used bleach this morning to get my FC to 10 (CYA is around 65-70). How long should the water take to clear? Anything else I should do?

OK, so on the heels of my last email, please see my test results below as I'm hoping to get his terrible / completely cloudy water resolved before a cookout on Saturday! As mentioned, I did a bleach treatment this morning as there was nearly no chlorine in the past few days due to the ascorbic acid treatment 6 days ago, but was careful not to bring to SLAM levels. How do I quickly clear up my water?? Thanks!

Ph 6.9
FC 9.0
CC 0
TA 90
CYA 60
CH 175

Thanks. We're a FG pool so we typically don't have issues with algae. I used bleach this morning to get my FC to 10 (CYA is around 65-70). How long should the water take to clear? Anything else I should do?

I suppose fiberglass pools might be less susceptible to algae (my pool store guy said the same), but the more likely reason you don't have algae problems is because you stay on top of the pool chemistry. Since it has been 6 days since the AA and sequestrant, I would assume it is safe to begin a SLAM.

Hi all. I brought my water up to SLAM level last night and ran my system overnight. There has been NO improvement in the past 72 hours regarding clarity of water. And now, much to my complete disappointment, as I brushed the water line this morning, it appears the yellow stains have returned to my sidewalks!!! :brickwall::brickwall: :grrrr::grrrr: so after a lot of $$ on bleach, ascorbic acid, sequestering agent, etc, and tons of testing, I am at a complete loss!! As it's now Friday and our pool is not inviting looking and quite frankly, embarrassing, looks like we're going to have to cancel our pool party cookout for Saturday. Very very very sad and frustrated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Understood, thanks! Any harm in adding algecide today (in advance of that test) to help fight off any potential organic issues?
And will a water clarifier (coagulant) help to potentially salvage the day tomorrow?

Hmmm, ok, I will do the OCLT test tonight, but was just hoping for a solution for the cloudiness in short order so that we don't have to cancel our party for Saturday. It's very frustrating as to how slowly the water is taking to clear as it was clear prior to the AA treatment, and then the fact that the metal stains have returned so it feels like I'm worse off before I started the AA treatment and SLAM process. (Sigh)

Algaecide will not help clear up the pool and it doesn't kill algae it prevents it, it probably says that on the label, most do.

Why are you SLAMing? SLAMing almost always brings stains back as noted in the AA treatment article:
Do not shock! Do not shock for at least 2 weeks! Make sure you keep your ph low for (7.2) for a week or two
Here are two important notes: High ph along with high chlorine will precipitate any metals that are not sequestered out of the water and on to the surface of the pool again. If this happens take the ph back down to 7, or 7.2 and add more sequestering agent. This should lift the stain off.

It is not uncommon for AA treatments to cloud the water but it usually clears up in a couple of days.

Thanks for the info on algecide, and yes, they all say they clear algae!
As for SLAMming, I had tried not to, but as mentioned below, my water went completely cloudy (couldn't even see top step) 3 days after the AA treatment, and the only response I received below was that as I was 6 days past the treatment it was ok to SLAM. VERY confused and frustrated, as now it sounds like I may have made it worse. Grrrr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.