Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: anyone ever get sick from smelling clorine during conversion

  1. Back To Top    #1
    hawkeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    davenport,iowa
    Posts
    118

    anyone ever get sick from smelling clorine during conversion

    ive been sick ever since i started the conversion last thurday i must have breathed in too much of the fumes i have had raw sinuses and a bloody nose weird huh is this un heard of? idont feel good either,but the pool looks sweet though waiting for test kit to finish this aby only dosing at night with bottle of shock.......mike in iowa
    18ft 52in deep doughboy 8000 gallons
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    tk-2006 test kit that rocks!
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac

  2. Back To Top    #2
    frustratedpoolmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: anyone ever get sick from smelling clorine during conversion

    Perhaps you have some sort of chemical sensitivity. Try wearing a respirator type mask when handling the chlorine.

    Chlorine fumes have never bothered me...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: anyone ever get sick from smelling clorine during conversion

    Welcome to TFP!

    Sorry you are feeling poorly.

    What kind of 'conversion' are you doing?

    8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Morris, IL
    Posts
    477

    Re: anyone ever get sick from smelling clorine during conversion

    I know that Chlorine Gas is deadly. After we put in a watermain system, and before the copper lines got ran to the houses, we would fill them with water, close the valves and have someone come out and put chlorine gas in the mains. Then two days later, blow it out the hydrants and whips, and take chemical tests for bacteria and such. But anyhow, the truck had the skull and crossbones placard on it. And it was important that the feed valves did not get opened up and release the gas into the existing water main.

    With that said, is it possible that enough of a concentration of chlorine could effect someone the same as the gas? I am sure that the gas is probably 100% though so it is a guess.
    steve

    Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Guest

    Re: anyone ever get sick from smelling clorine during conversion

    If you are talking about a biguanide (Baquacil) conversion the 'fumes' are not chlorine but rather chloramines, the very same ones that cause problems in indoor pools. Once the conversion is done chloramines are rarely a problem.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,887

    Re: anyone ever get sick from smelling clorine during conversion

    Chlorine in the forms used in pools is not usually a problem, but combined chlorine (CC) is a known respiratory irritant. A conversion might involve high CC levels.

    There are some things that can release chlorine gas, which hopefully you are not doing. Never mix chlorine and acid. You can add them to the pool at different times, but they should never be mixed together outside the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  7. Back To Top    #7
    hawkeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    davenport,iowa
    Posts
    118

    Re: anyone ever get sick from smelling clorine during conversion

    hello thanks for the info guys i am doing just plain baqa to clorine conversion no acid mixing or anything like that, im on day 5 of the transition i actually tried not to smell any of the stuff ive never had a problem before with clorine smell but man im starting to go through some tissue paper now a lot of drainage going on here....my first pour was with 2 gallons of shock 10% and 9 gallons of bleach and 4 pool store shock total since i started.. as of now waiting for test kit to do overnight fc test....again thanks for the killer site guys jason you know too much about pools and water chem glad to have found this place......mike b in iowa
    18ft 52in deep doughboy 8000 gallons
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    tk-2006 test kit that rocks!
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •