Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need feedback on this pump/sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Need feedback on this pump/sand filter

Okay..finally gonna buy a new pump and sand filter for the pool. The intex one is ****. I found this one on ebay..but want to get feedback first..what do ya think? Or if you see anything else that would be a good buy..link it to me!

http://cgi.ebay.com/HAYWARD-1-5-HP-SWIM ... 7C294%3A50
    Julie

Atlantic Pool Products "Prestige" metal wall pool 18' x 48" round
    vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump
    Hayward Perflex DE Filter Model EC50AC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need feedback on this pump/sand filter

That is top notch equipment, but that pump is WAY more than you need for a pool your size. It will work, but you'll be paying $$ to run the pump. That being said, the filter is a good size, but you would be better off pairing it with a 1HP 2 speed pump or a 3/4HP pump.

We have a pool of similar size to yours and run a 1 HP Single Speed Hayward pump. It's still oversized for the pool, but we got a great deal on it off Craigslist.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

3. Back To Top    #3

I know it sounds like a good deal...but the pump is way too big for an 18" filter...it will work, but your wasting electricity...your optimal setup would be a 21+" sand filter and nothing more than a 3/4hp pump...otherwise a 1hp 2speed...again you want the smallest possible pump and the largest filter you can afford
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree, bigger is better on the filter, but not on the pump, 3/4 HP 1 speed or a 2 speed (1 or 1.5 HP.)
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

We ended up ordering a totally different pump and filter type. Dh wanted to go with the DE filter and 1hp pump. May be more work/maintenance..but if it will clear up our pool..I'm all for it. Here is the one we ordered for our pool. It comes with the 1hp pump.

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... und-pools/
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Just wanted to update on the pump/DE filter we bought in the post above this. IT IS AWESOME!!!! I got it up and running and vaccuumed the pool two nights ago...it removed ALL of the white powdery residue from all over the bottom of the pool. And didn't spew it back into the pool! I can feel the liner again like when we first set it up! I'm just amazed at what a difference a GOOD pump and filter can do for a pool..even just a cheap one from walmart. Hoping to make the pool itself last a couple more summers then invest in a doughboy or something. I'm actually ENJOYING the pool now for the first time in 3 years!!!!!
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump