Any particular brand of cya?

itabb said:
Well, I may have to eat my words a bit. Still, I find Leslie's to be unreliable. However, the last batch of CYA appears to be full strength. I had a CYA of 50 (read as 45 in the tube). I added 60oz, which should bring me to 80 (75). Well, here I am, 3 weeks later after dumping it into the tank, and I just did a CYA test. 80! Well, just slightly under, so what, 75? So I am guessing that it takes 2-3 weeks for all of the CYA to dissolve from Leslies, assuming you get a batch that is uncut.

FC 6
PH 7.4
CA 370
CYA 80
Temp 85
Borates 50

I guess I will go back to Leslies and pick up some more. I'm down to 50 after all this rain and water loss out of the pool.

I thought you only had to watch pH levels when using trichlor since it has pH of around 2-3.

Dichlor is pretty much neutral at 6-7, so using it as initial shock to bring both CL and CYA levels up, without affecting pH, is preferred.

Dichlor is mildly acidic when you add it, and then noticably more acidic when the chlorine gets used up. Bleach is basic when you add it and then acidic when the chlorine gets used up, which nets out to no PH change.

Pretty much everybody needs to keep an eye on their PH. Even if your sanitation system doesn't change the PH, things like acid rain or blown in dust will. Of course some pools need much closer PH monitoring than others.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.