Thanks and confirm 3/4 HP w 45 GPM or 1 HP w/ 36 GPM (AquaPro-SunRunner - BlueWave)

May 28, 2017
perry fl
Thanks in advance for all your patience and insights! I am new with 22' foot round above ground 54" pool (used, gifted to us) in North Florida with 2 kids eager to get started once we get the brown and green and other stuff out and gone and keep it gone:) Well water here not so great metallic and such, going to restart with a fill-up using purchased professional BlueWave filters that connect to hose for the final fill up.

I have allocated $200-300 for an above ground sand filter and pump set-up. With prices (depending upon sales and stuff) roughly the same, I am completely torn between:

A) An AquaPro 3/4 HP 45 GPM sand filter and pump kit AL75 (seems also to be known as the SunRunner brand, they make a smaller AL150 in this set-up as well).

B) A BlueWave Sandman 18" Sand Filter system with 1 HP pump and 36 GPM.

I read here that the GPM is most probably more important than HP, but 3/4 seems on the weak side, so I am wondering if that would apply here to me: A or B?

Of course I am open to other (better/ more powerful or reliable) sand filter systems to get; but haven't really seen much else to tickle my fancy and wallet. There does not seem to be a good "best sand filter brands bang for buck" guide posted recently, anyone know of a reference?

Thanks all, Stay Cool! Roger

Welcome to the forum!

I read here that the GPM is most probably more important than HP, but 3/4 seems on the weak side, so I am wondering if that would apply here to me: A or B?
HP is a poor way to judge a pump. It doesn't always reflect the true "size" of the pump. But either system should work fine. The larger the filter, the less often you will need to clean it. And the smaller the pump, the less you will pay for energy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.