First time with Taylor Testing Kit

Bazodee

Silver Supporter
Apr 20, 2016
Dallas TX
Okay: results (and questions) - we are in the process of recovering from an algal bloom and worked all last weekend to scrub and backwash and kill but it isn't working this time)

FC 5 drops/1 ppm
CC: 3 drops/0.6 ppm
7.3 pH
Alkalinity: 70ppm
Ca Hardness 260 ppm
cY: <20

My post keeps getting chopped off.
I've convinced hubby to do his own testing but he is still wanting to use traditional pool chemicals.

The chlorine test was tricky for us- the sample would run clear and we would wait and wait -10-15 secs and then it looked clear but then 5 secs later it would tinge pink.

Which Taylor kit are you using? How large of a sample are you using?

This kit. I'm not sure of the sample size.

0d581adce85e1c3318e65b208eddeb66.jpg

So I guess we need to SLAM - and looking at the charts we need our FC to get to 10. How do we figure out how much liquid chlorine or bleach to add for approx 25,000g?

Its going to be difficult to calculate anything worthwhile for a SLAM with the CYA measurement only being "<20". Recommended CYA for a SLAM is 30 and your reading is fairly vague. Without enough CYA in the pool the chlorine will dissipate as fast as you put it in and getting it to hold FC will be very difficult.

1) Add your signature
2) Read over Pool School, especially the SLAM page and make sure you are ready to go

Its going to be difficult to calculate anything worthwhile for a SLAM with the CYA measurement only being "<20". Recommended CYA for a SLAM is 30 and your reading is fairly vague. Without enough CYA in the pool the chlorine will dissipate as fast as you put it in and getting it to hold FC will be very difficult.

1) Add your signature
2) Read over Pool School, especially the SLAM page and make sure you are ready to go

Okay - will get CYA up. We plan to test that again.

I added my signature yesterday - does it not show up?

N. Texas
25,000G pool -installed in 80's owned by us for 4 years
Maintained by us for 16 months

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We were planning to head out of town, so hubby shocked and added chlorine tabs while he's reading up for SLAM next weekend. but trip got cancelled and we woke up to this mess
19908f883d722d9aad2bbe8a340ef688.jpg

N. Texas
25,000G IG pool -installed in 80's owned by us for 4 years
Plaster with a diving end of 10+ feet
DE filter

Well, the good news is, there is zero doubt it needs a SLAM but it isn't horrible by any stretch.

Sounds like you guys are still taking different approaches here, unless you're just buying time until SLAM'ing and I'm reading it wrong. The TFP methodology works beautifully, but it requires sticking to it and consistency. If you're SLAM'ing and he's throwing in puck and shocks, its just not going to work.

Well, the good news is, there is zero doubt it needs a SLAM but it isn't horrible by any stretch.

Sounds like you guys are still taking different approaches here, unless you're just buying time until SLAM'ing and I'm reading it wrong. The TFP methodology works beautifully, but it requires sticking to it and consistency. If you're SLAM'ing and he's throwing in puck and shocks, its just not going to work.

I'm just a week ahead of him. I've convinced him to do it- but we couldn't do it this weekend, so he was just hoping to keep it from growing Algae this weekend when we were supposed to be gone. I think he's hoping to have it all read up on and be ready to start slamming on Wed or Thursday. (Also we need a new vacuum hose apparently).

He feels like the pool store has been his lifeline and he's much better getting his info in person than online -so I have to be the middle man for now. When the SLAM works that will help break him of the pool store a bit I think.

N. Texas
25,000G IG pool -installed in 80's owned by us for 4 years
Plaster with a diving end of 10+ feet
DE filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.