Algea or Sand

Staci

Sep 12, 2016
Clover, SC
Little stumped. We changed the sand out of the filter last or the week before. backwashed it until it appeared clear. Pool was blue before we changed out the sand. We had a little issue with our aerator breaking and fixed it by putting a fish tank aerator (temporarily). Lots of rain the last 3 days and I back washed to get some out when I did the water was surprisingly mucky. Could it be sand getting into the pool that is making it look like this??

my#'s are all pretty good

FC: 8
CC 0
TC: 8
TA: 120
CYA: 50
PH: 8.2 which seems to alway creep up, but I get it to 7.2

That looks more like algae than sand. What happens when you try to brush it? Just a little nudge, an inch or so. If it moves and sits there, it's superfine sand or dirt that washed in. If it goes *poof* when you approach with the brush, it's dead clumping algae.

Looks to me that you have an advanced algae bloom going on. You could run an OCLT tonight to confirm, but I would start a SLAM as soon as possible.

At some point the FC must have dropped below the 7.5% minimum.

It goes poof, and the pool stays yellowish... What to do? Still learning.
You SLAM Process.

You already have the right test kit, so stock up on chlorine and just follow the SLAM Process instructions. Set pH to 7.2, doublecheck your CYA, and start dumping bleach to get to shock level for your CYA. If that 50 CYA is true, then 20 FC is the target. Brush until your lower back can take no more. Recheck FC every couple hours and keep it up and you'll see improvements. Don't forget to vacuum, too. If you sneak up on that clumped algae real slow, the vacuum should draw it to itself. Pushing the vacuum at it too fast will just scatter it.

Check behind them stairs...I still havnt put my stairs back in, for water is still too cold, but ive learned about my stairs is a breeding area for algae..Im in the middle of a slam too, and ive kept my numbers where I thought they should be....I have that same look, but im close to the end of my slam...Its getting better..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you can manage it, you should routinely move the stairs and brush under them, as well as the inside. You could do all this in the pool, where it will be much easier to jockey the stairs around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.