PH is still high

May 25, 2017
New Iberia
I have recently drained my pool, and refilled it. Shocked and put about a gallon of Muriatic Acid to lower the ph. I tested it this morning and the PH is still high. I have a 35,000 gallon pool. Should I add more acid??
pool.jpg

Signature:
In Ground Gunite Pool,
35,000 Gallons,
City Water,
Sand Filter,

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: If your pH is high, over 7.8, then it does indeed need to be lowered back to the mid-7s. But as a new poster let me be the first to tell you, we don't have any faith in test strip or pool store testing. They simply are not reliable. In a pool your size, you want the best for that investment. We would highly encourage you to get the proper test kit. We recommend either the TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. Anything less is simply guesswork which is bad for the water, your pool, and your pocketbook. Please give the proper test kit some thought, and make sure to review/bookmark the vital links below in my signature. Don't forget to update your signature as well. :wink: Thanks for posting. Nice to have you with us.

If (big if) that test strip is accurate, then yes, you need more acid. The high TA will drive the pH up every couple days.
Invest in a proper test kit. You've got a huge pool, so mistakes can end up very costly, not like someone with a kiddie pool who can just dump it and start over. If that strip is wrong and you add a bunch of acid, you could etch the plaster.

Welcome to TFP!

I like how the FC pad is showing between 0 and 10 ppm and the CYA one is showing something between 30 and 300, depending on where you look. We have good reasons for absolutely discouraging test strip use and that picture sums it up quite nicely. Definitely consider upgrading your test kit, you won't regret it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.