Anthony Pool Light - water in bulb? Bad GFCI?

RichTJ99

Gold Supporter
Sep 16, 2016
Katonah NY
Hi,

So my bulb (below) seems to be half filled with water - yet it still works. It is an anthony bulb. What do I do with this? Can I open it up & put a new bulb in it? Should I get a new fixture? The lights all worked fine but I pulled this one as seeing water inside the bulb seemed strange or dangerous.

I will replace the breaker too.

Thanks,
Rich

2017-05-23 16.03.51.jpg

Replace the breaker with a GFI and replace the bulb and gasket. Check for leaks before you mount it back in the pool. I let mine float just under the surface of the pool water. Actually found a leak where the wires enter. Patched the hole with marine grade sealer and been good for almost a year.

Water is not a great conductor of electricity, so most of the current would still go through the bulb lighting it up, and assuming the pool is bonded properly the rest would leak to ground. In the pool you're not a path to anything so you wouldn't feel electricity.

Hi - So i attached a photo of the light. I am not sure if it leaked due to the rubber seal or the seal on the back. The rubber seal is $20 bucks & there seems to be no part on the back that I can buy (the cord sealing area).

The rubber really held the water in place without spilling anything & it was halfway filled so I am unsure of where the problem area was.

Should I sand off some of that rust, put a new bulb in, seal it all back up & stick it in a bucket (or the pool) for a few days to see if it leaks again?

Attachments

• 2017-05-26 08.39.43.jpg
    2017-05-26 08.39.43.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 25
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.