DIY stone spa spillway repair? Am I nuts?

Nov 14, 2015
Chicagoland, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our spa has a stone (flag stone? I dunno) spillway that has cumbling grout. Some of the stone are loose, which is a hazard. I've called the 2 local pool builders, including the original builder for this pool - both are busy until the end of June/into July. Pool Builder said base price is $150/hr. Some grout has been replaced in the past, but I don't know if someone else DIYd or hired it out.

1) If I hire someone, does it need to be a pool company? Could I just hire a stone mason, and expect that they will know anything special needed to properly repair the spa stones?

2) While I do not want to take this on myself, I'm concerned about further damage to the spa/spillway, and the potential for the stones to fall. I've searched here, with limited success on other's experiences with DIY repairs. I'm already and anticipating this will be a multi-day effort. My main questions are:
Is there a particular type of mortar I should use to set the stones? It's my understanding that grout isn't necessarily the same thing as mortar, so is there a particular grout I should use, too?

Are there any warning signs of damage to the spa wall itself (that would indicate a need to bring in the professionals) that I should be on the look out for, once I remove the stones and the underlying mortar?

In the photo below, the loose stones are the 4 in the spillway, the two on two on the bottom of phot directly adjacent to spillway, and the smaller stone closer to the pool on the upper part of photo, directly adjacent to spillway.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

You can also search for people who tuckpoint. Typically done on chimneys but essentially what you need.

If you want to DIY it let us know. There is a difference between grout and mortar.

The issue was likely caused by a hard freeze after a rain or snow storm. When you pull everything apart make sure you get all the loose stuff out and build it back up with concrete or mortar. I've used tapcons to get a mechanical connection when building walls back up with concrete and mortar.

Thanks for replays. The pool builder said labor would be $150/hr, but they haven't been out to say how many hours it would take. I'll get some estimate from a local stone mason.

I had been running the spa spillway to circulate water, by there's been a huge amount of debris under the spillway. Need to remind the family not to turn it on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.