VS Hayward pump rpm to activate Hayward Heater flow switch

May 22, 2017
Burlington
We just moved into a new house with a Hayward Tristar VS pump and a Hayward H150FD heater. I'm trying to figure out the proper rpm for the pump to allow the flow switch to activate and turn on the heater. I've done a few trials at 1600rpm, 1750rpm, 1850rpm and 2000rpm at the 1750 and 1850 the pump stayed on for quite sometime and then after I went in about 30mins to 1hr later I checked the heater and it shutoff due to low flow. I left it on 2000rpm and the heater continued until the pump setting changed to the lower rpm. So my question is 2000rpm pretty high or should I be able to get it lower?

My pool is approx. 16 x 30, shallow end 3 1/2' deep, deep end 8' deep

Yes, cleaning your filter can definitely help. The flow switch is measure the flow rate (i.e. gallons per minute GPM). The RPM of a variable speed pump does not directly correspond to a flow rate as things, like valve settings and filters can affect it. For myself, my salt water chlorine generator (SWG) I will run at 800 RPM as the lowest, as this seems to work well, even when my sand filter is dirty. When clean, I can run as low as 650 RPM. There are variable flow pumps which you set the flow rate, and it will adjust the speed automatically to maintain the flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.