Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The kids' feet

1. Back To Top    #1

The kids' feet

Every year, we have a bunch of kids in the pool for parties. After a few hours, some of the kids have blisters and cuts on their feet.

I'm pretty sure that the problems are caused by a combination of being in the water for a long time and walking (not running!) on the concrete deck.

Could scale be a factor? Or, anything else in the water?

Anyone else have this problem or know what I could do to fix it?
    15,000 gallon unpainted plaster. Sand filter. Polaris 380.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The kids' feet

What is your pool made of?

When i was a kid, I would spend hours in the neighborhood community pool which was concrete. My toes would split something awful. So the concrete and softened skin was my problem.

I can swim all day in our vinyl pool and never have an issue. I would think it's more surface related than water chem related.

But whaddaiknow?
    24' Round Doughboy AG.
    Usually filled with 3 kids, the wife, and occasionally the dog.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd agree....surface issue, soft feet.

Surf mocs?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

When playing very active games in our concrete pool, the skin on my big toe gets pretty tore up. I don't think its water chemistry but just too much friction from running and jumping, etc. No big deal in my opinion.
    Intex 15' x 36" Easy Set Pool
    Intex 2500 gal/hr pump/filter
    Sunheater 2' x 20' Solar heater
    TF - 100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Marcite and aggregate finishes are often rough and will cause scrapes and cuts. Also, if the plaster is only a year or two old it is still giving off caustic alkali material so standing on the surface for an extended period of time adds to the problem.

6. Back To Top    #6

Used to happen to us as kids at the beginning of the season (plaster pool). After a few days the toes toughened up. Our kids now get cuts/etc on their feet - sometimes the tops. I think it's from climbing out in the deep end (not at the 'ledge') They must be climbing up the side a bit.

What does not kill you makes you stronger -- it'll get better. If not, I agree witht he earlier post that swim-slippers (or whatever they are called) are great. Also safer around on the deck as they have a great grip on the bottom.

Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]