Help with Balance and Algae!

Jun 16, 2009
South Carolina
Hi,

First post and a very recent pool owner. I just got in my kit and most of my chemicals. I have bleach, baking soda, muriatic acid, and aqua chem stabilizer (100% cyanuric acid).

First off, when I got home noticed a slight greenish tint which I'm sure means trouble. I did a test of all my components and got:

pH: 7.6
FC: 1.2
CC: 1.5
TA: 140
CYA: 25
CH: 80

I know some of this is not good but I dont know where to start. I used the Leslie's FAS-DPD test. I think I need to shock my pool to kill the green but let me know!

Thanks in advanced!

Henry

hleapha said:
I know some of this is not good but I dont know where to start. I used the Leslie's FAS-DPD test. I think I need to shock my pool to kill the green but let me know!
You are correct. :goodjob: The CYA is lower than we recommend, you might want to nudge that up over 30 as well.
--paulr

Thanks for the confirmation. The only problem is I only had ~190 oz clorox to add. So I threw a 3" trichlor tab in the basket. I know those things arent recommended but the previous owner left me one. I added about 30 oz of stabilizer as well.

We'll see how it does but I need to stop and get some bleach tonight. I just didnt get enough jugs during the $1.50 Chlorox special at Food Lion... doh!

If I'm reading your results right...you have 1.5ppm CC. Not sure how you got the 1.2ppm FC reading since the taylork2006 or TF100 measure FC in 0.2 and 0.5 ppm increments, respectively?

Either way CC of 1.5 is bad news, if accurate you will need to raise your FC to shock level and keep it there until you experience an FC loss of 1ppm or less overnight.

Good luck...let us know if you need more assistance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.