Is it normal to still be green?

May 8, 2017
Cartersville ga
Im over 24+ hours into SLAMMING my pool. Im brushing and keeping the fc where it should be . I kinda expected less green by now. Im quickly getting discouraged. Does this mean its not working ir is it ok if its still green?
Should i vacuum even though i cant see the bottom? Or with it still being green, is it a total waste of time and effort?

SLAM---------WORKS! Depending on how bad yours is (and it sounds bad) it could take a week or so or longer. Anything you can remove of the bottom is a plus. We recommend that BEFORE you start the SLAM. Do you have test results for us? How are you testing?

Do you have the filter running 24/7? Usually within one or two days usually turns cloudy blue (depends on how bad it was to start). What are your numbers? Specifically FC and CYA? Also pictures are good!

If there is a ton of debris lurking in the depths, what you describe is normal. The more organic stuff you remove manually, the less the chlorine tries to dissolve and it can work on killing algae instead. Yes, vacuum blindly. Watch the filter pressure because it will climb rapidly and need frequent backwashing.

I do have the filter running 24/7. I got to were i wasnt finding leaves with the leaf net anymore, im sure theres a few but i think the back breaking bulk of them is gone.
my cya was at 60 so ive been aiming for 24-25 fc.
I just attempted to vacuum and not sure what went wrong but when i turned the filter on to bypass to waste it sucked really hard to the bottom of the pool and i broke the part of the vacuum that attaches to the pole off. So that sucks.
It may actually be lightening up a bit. Im gonna attach a picture i just took and one from almost exactly 24 hours ago.
I guess i watched too many YouTube videos of the green being gone in like 12 hours and my expectations where too high.
imagejpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3599.jpg
    IMG_3599.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_3601.jpg
    IMG_3601.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 193
Alright , still no change. Day 3. Ive been at or above my shock level. (I got a little over zealous leaving for work and might have sent it way too high).
I have noticed that my skimmer basket isnt catching as much debri as normal either. My return jet is still circulating well. And when i backwash it there is very dark nasty water. That does mean its filtering right? But even if my filter were an issue that wouldn't change the fact that my algae should be turning white or grey by now right?
I know this isnt gonna clear overnight but this is beginning to feel hopeless.
any ideas?

I think you will see a change soon. Mine was green/brown like that, although a smaller pool than yours, and after about 6 days I finally saw blue. the fact you are backwashing gross water means the filter is doing it's job. Just Keep it up!! You will see change! And make sure your filter is on 24/7.

This morning I tested before leaving and I had only lost 4ppm since last night. That would indicate that Im not killing very much anymore right? Still green. I was pretty confident in my cya reading but decided to go a bit higher on my fc shock goal since i saw there was a +/- 10 i could be off. I believe i started this process with cya of 60.
I dont know how this stuff isnt dead yet. This is day 4.
Right now I have a lot of people telling me to use this and that , so and so used this and it was clear the next day. Im not gonna lie its been tempting to abort this and try other stuff but Im not gonna. Im gonna see this through!
Come on white, cloudy dead algae!

Back on post#2 woody mentioned that a SLAM can take quite a few days. He is right. It's important to note that, it took a while to get the way it is, so it might take a bit to get it clean. While it may be true that there are other ways to get 'clear', none of them will ever get you to TFP 'clear' The reason this method works is that it gets rid of every little bit of algae. Pool $tore magic potions make it look 'okay' but within a short time you are right back to green. With TFP, once it's gone and you maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio, it shouldn't come back. The water will be clearer than you have ever seen it and you will no longer want to swim in a non TFP pool.

Hope this helps keep you on track.

Take pics everyday, especially of steps or a ladder or even the vacuum pole. You can use those to see the progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Trust me you will see the bottom soon. I have been on mine for two weeks and it started VERY gross. It's not perfect yet, but I haven't been able to be as on top of it as I should. So if you are sticking with it yours will be clear in no time. Once I got all the leaves and junk out, it turned blue VERY quickly. Now it's still a little cloudy but i expect the filter to have it perfect in a couple of days.

Hi! Im sorry I didn't mean to drop off the earth. Its going good.School ended last week and schedules got wonky.
so technically this would be week 3 of slamming today. However it is only week 2 since we got all the leaves and debri that were hiding in the middle. So that might actually be the start. There was more hiding than we realized. My husband was a champ and got in the swamp to vacuum it. I can now see the bottom all the way across! In the picture you will see a slight shadow in the middle , a few more leaves have settled there, I'm gonna tackle tomorrow. The big white spot is where someone threw a chlorine tab last year. So any idea how much longer? My family is getting impatient.

Attachments

• IMG_3681.jpg
    IMG_3681.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 61
Are you staying at SLAM level with chlorine? With 60 CYA your FC should be at 24. Are you backwashing when necessary (pressure rises?).

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget to brush rigorously also. It'll loosen up the algae from where it is trying to stick to the wall and floors so the chlorine can kill it.

Last edited:
Are you staying at SLAM level with chlorine? With 60 CYA your FC should be at 24. Are you backwashing when necessary (pressure rises?).

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget to brush rigorously also. It'll loosen up the algae from where it is trying to stick to the wall and floors so the chlorine can kill it.

Yes Ive been keeping it at 24. Even though upon a later test, my cya was closer to 50. I brush it everytime I add bleach. Although when my husband got in to vacuum we were surprised that it wasnt slimey. Is that a good sign that I had been brushing enough? I backwash 1-2 times a day. Pretty much down to just 1 now, 2 at the beginning. Run pump 24-7.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.