Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting up what to do & ideal CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting up what to do & ideal CYA

We uncovered the pool on Sat. There were a few leaves that somehow made there way into the pool. Scooped them out on Sun and added 2 gallons of bleach. The water looks nice and clear. There is a little trash in the bottom that i will vac out today. What should be my next step? Should i slam it since it is just opened and the FC is low? What is the ideal cya level? I thought about trying to raise the cya to 35 or 40 by adding 16oz of dichlor that i already have to raise the cya by 5 and increase the FC by 5.2 per the calculator. I know there is a trade off with CYA and adding chlorine.

FC .8
    CC .4
    pH 7.5
    TA 90
    CH 70
    CYA 30
    24' AG Round 12,700 Gallon ( w/ 45" level) Vinyl Liner
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD-40 Sand Filter w/ 1.5 HP 2 Speed Pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    Walkertown NC ( North Central NC 30 miles from Greensboro, NC)
    Pool gets 6-7 hours of sun on a sunny day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting up what to do & ideal CYA

Digunn, your ideal cya level is based on how you chlorinate the pool and how much sun and heat your pool is exposed to. If you're using bleach to chlorinate the pool your CYA level should be around 40 in sunny NC. If you notice your FC disappearing unusually fast yet the pool is crystal clean, you might consider upping it to 50ppm CYA but you should remember that the higher the cya is the higher the chlorine needs to be if you get algae.

Here is a reference chart-->FC/CYA Chart

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks YippeeSkippy

What should be my next step? Should i slam it since it is just opened and the FC is low? I thought about trying to raise the cya to 35 or 40 by adding 16oz of dichlor that i already have to raise the cya by 5 and increase the FC by 5.2 per the calculator. I know there is a trade off with CYA and adding chlorine.
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

No need to SLAM it since its clear and you don't see problems. Just bring it up to desired level and start maintaining it with testing like you did last year. If you want to raise your CYA go ahead and use limited amounts of dichlor. If you have it, and you want the CYA there is no reason not to use it. Monitor your pH as it can lower that but otherwise you'll be fine.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Since the pool is clear and your CC is low, you should get your chlorine up to the target range and run an OCLT. Basically, test your FC level once the sun goes down and once again in the morning before the sun come up to see if you lose more than 1 FC. If you do, then SLAM if not just maintain your target level.
    16,000 gallon in-ground pebble tec pool. Hayward SP3400VSP Eco-Star Pump, Pentair Triton 2 TR-100 sand filter, A&A 5-port in-floor pool cleaner, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color changing pool light, Polaris 965iQ Robotic Pool Cleaner, OG Pool Math Subscriber and most importantly a Taylor K-2006C test kit.
    Test Kits Compared
    | SLAM | Chlorine / CYA Chart |

6. Back To Top    #6

Taylor K-2006 Test Kit