Starting up what to do & ideal CYA

May 30, 2016
Walkertown, NC
We uncovered the pool on Sat. There were a few leaves that somehow made there way into the pool. Scooped them out on Sun and added 2 gallons of bleach. The water looks nice and clear. There is a little trash in the bottom that i will vac out today. What should be my next step? Should i slam it since it is just opened and the FC is low? What is the ideal cya level? I thought about trying to raise the cya to 35 or 40 by adding 16oz of dichlor that i already have to raise the cya by 5 and increase the FC by 5.2 per the calculator. I know there is a trade off with CYA and adding chlorine.

FC .8
CC .4
pH 7.5
TA 90
CH 70
CYA 30

Digunn, your ideal cya level is based on how you chlorinate the pool and how much sun and heat your pool is exposed to. If you're using bleach to chlorinate the pool your CYA level should be around 40 in sunny NC. If you notice your FC disappearing unusually fast yet the pool is crystal clean, you might consider upping it to 50ppm CYA but you should remember that the higher the cya is the higher the chlorine needs to be if you get algae.

Here is a reference chart-->[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Maddie :flower:

Thanks YippeeSkippy

What should be my next step? Should i slam it since it is just opened and the FC is low? I thought about trying to raise the cya to 35 or 40 by adding 16oz of dichlor that i already have to raise the cya by 5 and increase the FC by 5.2 per the calculator. I know there is a trade off with CYA and adding chlorine.

No need to SLAM it since its clear and you don't see problems. Just bring it up to desired level and start maintaining it with testing like you did last year. If you want to raise your CYA go ahead and use limited amounts of dichlor. If you have it, and you want the CYA there is no reason not to use it. Monitor your pH as it can lower that but otherwise you'll be fine.

Maddie :flower:

Since the pool is clear and your CC is low, you should get your chlorine up to the target range and run an OCLT. Basically, test your FC level once the sun goes down and once again in the morning before the sun come up to see if you lose more than 1 FC. If you do, then SLAM if not just maintain your target level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.