Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Guy.....Replacing Whining Pump Motor....Source/Reference for Seals???

1. Back To Top    #1

New Guy.....Replacing Whining Pump Motor....Source/Reference for Seals???

Hate to be the new guy that shows up and immediately starts asking for help........but I wouldn't have found this place if I had not been having problems. Tons of info to go through and learn so that I can take care of my pool.

Right now I'm in a rush to get my motor replaced. Came home from vacation and it is whining like a jet engine. Looked around on this site as well as youtube and think I can knock this out myself. What I am struggling with is sourcing the correct seals. I read another thread where a helpful member posted some examples of higher quality seals (mainly shaft variety) sourced at cheaper rates than what you can get the lower quality ones for at Leslies (our local store). Is there a reference for these? I would like to get a new seal for every one I could replace in the motor replacement process, just so that they are on hand in case needed.

My motor:
    Century B2854
    Part#0-F56AA40A01-24
    Frame Y56Y
    1.5 HP
    3450RPM
    Hooked up to 220v

Motor is only ~2yrs old. It was replaced under a home warranty from when we bought the house. Here is the motor I think is a direct replacement: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ATO17W...=1TO2PHES2RC3H

My Pump:
    Pentair Whisperflo high performance pump

Can't find any other info on it. Should I measure the impeller while I have it apart to make sure the pump is sized correctly?

In the long run I would really like to go to a variable motor that I learned about on here to reduce energy costs. Right now I just want to replace it as quickly as possible before it goes completely out.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New Guy.....Replacing Whining Pump Motor....Source/Reference for Seals???

Do you have a local pool store besides the chain ones? We have a good local one who sold us a motor last summer for our DIY replacement like you. They were so helpful when we needed some extra parts (face plate I think it was...doesn't come with the motor and ours had melted). They sold us a package with a bunch of different seals to finish the job.

I know around here on TFP we don't trust the pool store for our water testing. But I can attest that our local one was good for help with motor replacement.

Also, you might give inyopools.com a call too.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    Do you have a local pool store besides the chain ones? We have a good local one who sold us a motor last summer for our DIY replacement like you. They were so helpful when we needed some extra parts (face plate I think it was...doesn't come with the motor and ours had melted). They sold us a package with a bunch of different seals to finish the job.

I know around here on TFP we don't trust the pool store for our water testing. But I can attest that our local one was good for help with motor replacement.

Also, you might give inyopools.com a call too.
    I haven't really looked locally. Kind of afraid of what they will charge for a motor but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

http://www.ussealmfg.com/pdfs/Pool-S...p-Products.pdf, a Whisperflo pump takes a PS 1000. You will also have to replace the diffuser o ring and seal plate gasket. The motor you chose is the right replacement for the other, but they are uprated motors so the impeller is probably a 1hp full rate

5. Back To Top    #5

The PS1000 is not very good quality. I would recommend the PS-3865R, it's a better seal.

Also, your current motor is a total of 1.65 HP. That's probably too big. I would down size to a 1.25 hp and a 073127 impeller.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kadavis View Post
    http://www.ussealmfg.com/pdfs/Pool-S...p-Products.pdf, a Whisperflo pump takes a PS 1000. You will also have to replace the diffuser o ring and seal plate gasket. The motor you chose is the right replacement for the other, but they are uprated motors so the impeller is probably a 1hp full rate
    Thanks for the link! I don't see the diffuser o ring and seal plate basket on there. Know what those are? I don't mind buying a whole seal kit even if I don't need everything that comes with it. I'll just store them as spares.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    The PS1000 is not very good quality. I would recommend the PS-3865R, it's a better seal.

Also, your current motor is a total of 1.65 HP. That's probably too big. I would down size to a 1.25 hp and a 073127 impeller.
    I have an ozone system and looking at the recommendations, the PS-3865R appears the way to go.

What is the downside of too much HP? Wasting electricity or other damage concerns? What motor part no would you recommend for the easiest replacement? If I'm completely changing models of pumps maybe I should invest in the dual speed to really save on energy.

Thanks for for all the help.

8. Back To Top    #8

You can do a total 1 hp motor with a 073126 impeller or a total 1.25 hp motor with a 073127 impeller.

You just need a square flange motor.

You can do single speed or 2 speed.

However, 2 speed motors are so expensive, you might be better replacing the whole pump.

You can do variable speed if you want.

Can you describe your pool and equipment?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

You can do a total 1 hp motor with a 073126 impeller or a total 1.25 hp motor with a 073127 impeller.

You just need a square flange motor.

You can do single speed or 2 speed.

However, 2 speed motors are so expensive, you might be better replacing the whole pump.

You can do variable speed if you want.

Can you describe your pool and equipment?
    12,000 gal gunite

In direction of flow:
    2 floor intakes & 1 strainer intake
    Pentair whisperflow high performance pump w/ bad Century B2854
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter
    Chlorine injector
    Discharge to pool jets w/Total Eclipse Del Ozone injector
    Discharge to ~2ft tall waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

How wide is the waterfall?

If it's not really wide, you can do a total 1 hp motor with a 073126 impeller.
    Support the site

11. Back To Top    #11

How wide is the waterfall?

If it's not really wide, you can do a total 1 hp motor with a 073126 impeller.
    I'll check when the sun is up but I think it is just one 3 or 4 inch pipe at the top.
    12,000 gal Gunite....Pentair Whisperflow w/ Century B2854....Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter....Chlorine Injector....Discharge to Pool Jets w/Total Eclipse Del Ozone Injection...Discharge to ~2ft Waterfall

12. Back To Top    #12

Does it need a lot of flow?
    Support the site

13. Back To Top    #13

Does it need a lot of flow?
    The valve that splits discharge between water fall and jets is open even between the two.
    12,000 gal Gunite....Pentair Whisperflow w/ Century B2854....Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter....Chlorine Injector....Discharge to Pool Jets w/Total Eclipse Del Ozone Injection...Discharge to ~2ft Waterfall

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Tsu45 View Post
    The valve that splits discharge between water fall and jets is open even between the two.
    It may split out to more than one pipe to cover that much

- - - Updated - - -

Equipment

15. Back To Top    #15

Anyone know why o-rings and gaskets I need?

16. Back To Top    #16

Saltwater Tune Up Kit Pentair/Purex Whisperflo - GOKIT32SALT - INYOPools.com

The salt/ozone seal is a better seal. Considering that the seal makes almost five million revolutions per day (1 billion revolutions every 200 days), it's definitely worth getting.

I would suggest a total 1 hp motor with a 073126 impeller
    Support the site

17. Back To Top    #17

Saltwater Tune Up Kit Pentair/Purex Whisperflo - GOKIT32SALT - INYOPools.com

The salt/ozone seal is a better seal. Considering that the seal makes almost five million revolutions per day (1 billion revolutions every 200 days), it's definitely worth getting.

I would suggest a total 1 hp motor with a 073126 impeller
    That is listed as a 1/2 HP impeller. That ok?

18. Back To Top    #18

The pump is listed as 1/2 hp, but it has a service factor of about 2, so it's really a 1 hp pump/impeller.
    Support the site

19. Back To Top    #19

The pump is listed as 1/2 hp, but it has a service factor of about 2, so it's really a 1 hp pump/impeller.
    This one? A.O. Smith 1 HP Motor EE - Full Rate (B2841, B2841V1) - INYOPools.com

or this one? A.O. Smith 1/2 HP Motor EE - Full Rate - B845 - INYOPools.com

20. Back To Top    #20

The second one with a 073126 impeller.
    Support the site