LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I installed a new Hayward MaxFlow SP2303VSP variable speed pump today. Before plumbing it in, I hooked up power to make sure it wasn't dead in arrival. It powered on and seemed to run fine for the few seconds I ran it.

After doing the plumbing and reconnecting the wiring it is not working. When I turn power on to the pump I hear a click, but the display doesn't turn on and the pump doesn't turn on.

I have 240V going in. Also I measure 12V going into the circuit board that the display is on.

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. I'm not sure how I could have fried the circuit board, if that is indeed what happened.

The short answer is yes. There is a low voltage wire going to the display board and I had the 4-pin connector upside down so that the 12V and common wires were reversed. You would think that Hayward would make it so that these connectors would only fit one way...

The long answer is that I could not figure out what was wrong, so I called Hayward. They said I could either send the pump back to PoolSupply4Less for an exchange or have a local authorized Hayward dealer come out and repair/replace the pump. I called PoolSupply4Less, but since it had been 38 days since I ordered the pump they said they couldn't do an exchange without Hayward authorizing it outside the 30 day return window. So, I called 3 different local Hayward dealers here in MN and none of them were willing to do warranty work for Hayward citing bad experiences previously. I didn't ask for details on their bad experiences, but it seemed like Hayward did not fully reimburse them for their expenses. So, I called Hayward again and they offered to get their regional manager involved to get a dealer to come out, but I said I would prefer they authorize the exchange with PoolSupply4Less and that is what they did. So, I sent the pump back to PoolSupply4Less and they shipped out a new one. It was while I was installing the new one that I realized I had the low voltage plug backwards on the old one :hammer:.

Overall, my experience with PoolSupply4Less was good. I would say that they are slow to reply to emails (1-2 days), they don't reply to voicemails, but if you can get someone to answer the phone they are very helpful.

It also seems that if you buy online, you may struggle to get someone to do warranty repair work, at least for Hayward. If I had to do it again, I would still buy online. I paid $650 for the pump. If I would have paid a local Hayward dealer to install this pump, it would have cost $1200-$1300.

So, I sent the pump back to PoolSupply4Less and they shipped out a new one. It was while I was installing the new one that I realized I had the low voltage plug backwards on the old one :hammer:.
Ouch…I feel your pain for all the troubles but glad you got it up and running.
Me too was tempted to test run the SP3202VSP before plumbing it in. But nah, the worse could happen is returning the pump without the union connection kit.

What I did is the opposite! Out of the box, I removed the display board/interface and took pictures focusing on the wires color coding and dip switch setting. This might be different from yours but thought I should post it here hoping to help others who has SP3202VSP.

What I did is the opposite! Out of the box, I removed the display board/interface and took pictures focusing on the wires color coding and dip switch setting. This might be different from yours but thought I should post it here hoping to help others who has SP3202VSP.

Meadow, thanks for sharing. I could have used these pictures 2 weeks ago!!! ;)

The SP3202VSP (Tristar) shares the same control panel as the SP2303VSP (MaxFlo), so this is exactly what I was dealing with. In your first picture, I had the green wire on the +12V side and the red wire on the COM side. In hindsight, I should have realized the red is for the 12V, but I obviously wasn't thinking clearly at the time - my brain was overcome with panic when my new pump would no longer power on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.