Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sand Filter rejuvenation

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter rejuvenation

Ok y'all I have read and watched the videos on cleaning sand filters I have followed that process and think I am about done with cleaning and now 9n the adding sand portion. Can someone chime in on whether or not I am pretty well done? My sand was mostly gone. Filter states sand to within 6 inches of the top of the standpipe and I was a solid 18 to 20 inches (dang near empty) below top of standpipe. Please advise

20x40 40k vinyl pool, hayward pro series S220t sand filter with vacuum pump and pentair model 320 in line feeder. No clue as to what type of skimmers I have. Just got my k-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter rejuvenation

That looks pretty clear. I'd say you're good to go. Dump in some new sand and fill to recommended height. Make sure you cover the top of the standpipe with a plastic bag with rubber band when dumping in new sand or whatever you can devise to cover it so sand doesn't get into it.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Makes you wonder if that filter was ever completely filled to the right level with sand.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I wonder if that might be the reason my pool is not cleared up yet even after slamming for 8 days and passing 2 consecutive OCLTs

20x40 40k vinyl pool, hayward pro series S220t sand filter with vacuum pump and pentair model 320 in line feeder. No clue as to what type of skimmers I have. Just got my k-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Noobpool View Post
    I wonder if that might be the reason my pool is not cleared up yet even after slamming for 8 days and passing 2 consecutive OCLTs
    It seems very reasonable.

You'll know for sure if the water clarity improves and the filter pressure climbs.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Pressure guage has not worked since I bought the house. I will be installing a new one today along with an elbow (maybe I failed to calculate clearance room)

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok got it all buttoned back up new guage runs about 8psi. From pool school I gather that I can add DE to around 10 psi via main skimmer and backwash around 10 over normal which is 20ish psi correct?

8. Back To Top    #8

This is where I have been for a week passed oclt twice in a row. Had some rain and cooler weather though. Weird little bubbles on surface since I cleaned and topped off the sand filter (added 2 full bags and a partial, around 120lbs or so.)

9. Back To Top    #9

You should backwash at about 25% over normal so if your normal is 10 psi with the DE, I'd backwash at 13.

- - - Updated - - -

This is where I have been for a week passed oclt twice in a row. Had some rain and cooler weather though. Weird little bubbles on surface since I cleaned and topped off the sand filter (added 2 full bags and a partial, around 120lbs or so.)
    What specific sand did you use? #20 pool sand?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

Palmetto state pool sand

11. Back To Top    #11

It did not have #20 on the bag but was labeled as specifically pool sand. Here is not the actual bag but what it looked like

12. Back To Top    #12

If the brand happens to not be rinsed very well before packaging, that could be lots of dust in the sand. If so, should filter out in a couple days. Did it seem dusty when adding?

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and grammar errors!

13. Back To Top    #13

Not at all. Very rough not smooth like beach sand but no dust or powder accumulation . My pool has been cloudy for weeks. I have been slamming for 9 days now and redid the filter in the hopes it would clear. My numbers are all good (ph is high) but otherwise steady and stable

14. Back To Top    #14

Keep in mind, the pH test is invalid (will read very high) whenever your FC is above 10 ppm. So ignore it until you're done with the SLAM. This is why it is recommended to lower pH to 7.2 before starting a SLAM as pH cannot be tested until complete or FC drops to <10. I would say that you're waiting on your filtration to get all the fine particles out at this point. Keep that pump on, keep brushing eventually you'll get all that fine sediment out. The DE should help speed the process. Your CH is borderline low, which typically does not matter in a vinyl pool. Low CH can contribute to foaming/bubbles but I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Likely just need some patience, which I know is tough with the SLAM going for 10 days or so now, but for some of that, you had a filter with very low filtration capacity.

15. Back To Top    #15

I have ceased with the slam. 3 days running I passed oclt. I have been checking FC and CC in the morning and afternoon since I quit maintaining slam (yesterday afternoon) my CC test barely turns pink now. I still have cloudy pool water though. I will get in tonight and brush and vacuum again. My wife has scheduled a pool party Saturday for her co-workers. What is the general consensus of flocculant? I was thinking that if the filter does not clear the pool by Thursday I would floc Friday and vacuum to waste Saturday morning before anyone arrives

16. Back To Top    #16

I have ceased with the slam. 3 days running I passed oclt. I have been checking FC and CC in the morning and afternoon since I quit maintaining slam (yesterday afternoon) my CC test barely turns pink now. I still have cloudy pool water though. I will get in tonight and brush and vacuum again. My wife has scheduled a pool party Saturday for her co-workers. What is the general consensus of flocculant? I was thinking that if the filter does not clear the pool by Thursday I would floc Friday and vacuum to waste Saturday morning before anyone arrives
    Try the DE in the sand filter trick first. It doesn't take much, only a cup or two, so see if you can't beg or buy some from a neighbor or some pool service guy.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Try the DE in the sand filter trick first. It doesn't take much, only a cup or two, so see if you can't beg or buy some from a neighbor or some pool service guy.
    And I add DE until pump pressure increases 2 psi correct?

18. Back To Top    #18

1 psi is stated in the article. 1/4 cup at a time, wait several minutes after each addition, check your filter pressure. Repeat until 1 psi increase. After adding your full amount of DE, check filter pressure as frequently as practical as when dealing with lots of algae or suspended material, the pressure could rise rapidly.

19. Back To Top    #19

I do 1 psi. You'll also need to time this addition so that you can be nearby to monitor pressure. It will have a cumulative effect and can spike the pressure much more quickly than you're used to.

- - - Updated - - -

fast typist!
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok since I cleaned and topped it off and added a functional gauge the pump averages 8psi and daily builds to 12ish so I have been back washing daily as well
    Edit: I assume the cloudy particles is the reason for the increased pressure. Since I am not getting dirt or debris when I backwash on both backwashes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast