total newb, don't know where to start with my TF-100

I would do that, as painful as it is. Technically you could SLAM it at CYA of 80ppm, but it's going to be even more painful and quite expensive. You need lots of FC, which means lots of bleach, and it means FC will disappear faster on top of it. Another partial drain/refill should get you to a better place. This time, vacuum to waste!

If you need encouragement, realize that the previous CYA of perhaps around 100 could have meant much higher than that, so at least now you can be more sure of the number!

Argh, okay! I do indeed need encouragement, but my faith is unwavering! :D Haha. Right, I do remember reading that "100" could actually mean much more than that, because it's so high. So that makes sense.

This time, vacuum to waste!
Lol, that's actually the first thing I thought! "Well, at least now I can vacuum to waste!"

Richard320 said:
If the vacuum won't seal tight to the skimmer to let you vacuum to waste, try a few rubber bands around the collar so it really gets squeezed in. If you vacuum out as much sludge as you can, that means less chlorine will be needed so you'll recoup some of the cost of the water.

Thanks for the tip! The vacuum is actually pretty tight on the skimmer. This pump has pretty decent suction/flow.

Here I go again!

Quick question: If I'm vacuuming to waste could I/should I remove the skimmer basket? Since all the muck is just going directly out to waste?

I'd vacuum over your skimmer basket, as junk could clog up your pipes or would at least cause you to be emptying your pump basket instead. Easier to empty skimmer. Use a leaf rake to get the bulk of the junk first. Vacuuming to waste is nice because without circulation you'll be targeting algae settled in the bottom, some of which wouldn't get caught in the basket and be forcing you to backwash constantly anyway. And if you need to lower water level anyway, might as well get some vacuuming done while doing it!

I'd vacuum over your skimmer basket, as junk could clog up your pipes or would at least cause you to be emptying your pump basket instead. Easier to empty skimmer. Use a leaf rake to get the bulk of the junk first. Vacuuming to waste is nice because without circulation you'll be targeting algae settled in the bottom, some of which wouldn't get caught in the basket and be forcing you to backwash constantly anyway. And if you need to lower water level anyway, might as well get some vacuuming done while doing it!

Heck yeah, that's what I did! So there's at least one positive to having to drain again I guess. :)

I filled it a bit high when I re-filled, in case I needed to backwash again. Kinda glad I did because it bought me some more time before the skimmer started taking air and having to switch over to the floor drain only.

Soooo hopefully tomorrow sometime I'll be able to give the CYA another go.

Edit: Here's a pic of "Refill Part II: The Return of the Refill":

mSeT2dN.jpg

I think if i were you while the water level was low like that, i would brush the heck out of the bottom of the pool and get all that algae all stirred up and ready to SLAM. From the looks of that last pic, you're gonna be doing ALOT of brushing/vacuuming.

I think if i were you while the water level was low like that, i would brush the heck out of the bottom of the pool and get all that algae all stirred up and ready to SLAM. From the looks of that last pic, you're gonna be doing ALOT of brushing/vacuuming.

Thanks for the advice!! Maybe later tonight I'll get a chance to when it isn't thunderstorming. :D

Edit: actually, since I have to wait ~24 hours for the pool to re-fill, wouldn't all that algae just settle back down to the bottom?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Allllright the results are in......

Woo-hoo! Made it down to 60! I re-did the CYA test 3 times in a row, by dumping the view tube water back into the CYA mixing bottle. Got 60 each time.

I re-checked my PH and it's 7.5.

So what's next? It's a bit overcast today (although I was lucky to catch a nice sun pocket for the CYA test!) - about 55-60º, might be good timing for the SLAM? I have 10 jugs of 10% liquid chlorine ready to go. Any other tests I need to do first?

Thanks!

Hi, just bought a gallon of Muriatic acid, but also found that I have some Lo-n-Slo leftover... I have two questions:

1. Should I use the acid instead of the Lo-n-Slo?

2. How long should I wait to begin the SLAM process after my pH has been lowered to 7.2?

Thanks again! Sorry for all the questions!

Make sure to take pics so you, and we, can see your progress.

And keep on eye on your filter pressure. Adding some DE help the filter clear the pool up much quicker, look up how to add de to a sand filter post.

You seem to have a good handle on what to do.

When you close next year, be sure to close cold with high chlorine and you can add a dose of polyquat 60 and you'll never have to do this again!

Good call! Thanks. I didn't want to add the DE (even tho I have some from my old filter) because I read it can cause the pressure to spike. One less thing to keep track of, lol. I'm patient, it's fine if sand filters are the slowest to clear up... like you said hopefully I'll only have to do this once! :D :D

Welp, my target FC was 24, but it looks like it's at 30 right now. So must be I had a bit of FC in there from the closing last fall. (I didn't do a FC test before the SLAM).

No biggie though I hope... I can just wait for it to lower to 24. I have a lot of brushing to do!

mSfKvfL.jpg

ziWavKT.jpg

That little extra FC won't hurt. Your chlorine is probably just a little stronger than the label says it is.

You'll want to test often when you're that green as your chlorine will quickly get used up killing algae. You need to make sure to don't drop below your minimum shock level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.