Ten Year Pool Veteran...Been Doin It Wrong for Nine of Em!

LeeH

May 9, 2017
Cherokee, AL
The two happiest days of a pool owner's life is the day the pool is finished being installed and the day they fill it in! That has been my philosophy for a while; until this season. This is my tenth season as a pool owner. I learned, about mid-season last year, I've been doing it wrong all these years. I usually have to spend $350 - $500 every season I 'open' my pool. Granulated chlorine, chlorine tablets, algeacide, super floc, etc.

I've also had to learn everything I knew on my own. The company that installed mine finished up the job, got paid, and left without telling me squat! I didn't even know how to backwash! I've asked about ten different pool supply store owners, over the years, what I need to do when I get started and got ten different answers. I've come to realize they really only want to sell you their over-priced junk!

I started doing more in depth research mid-season last year, learned about water balance and pool chemistry and how they all work. And I discovered this BBB method of pool care and purchased myself a really good test kit (Taylor K-2006). The second half of last season was pretty trouble free and the water hadn't looked/felt that good since I first filled it up! This season, I followed the guidance from this site and it has been the best opening yet! No hassles and I didn't have to vacuum after using the super floc - because I didn't have to use it!

I have told my wife that we will never have another pool if we ever build another house...but now, I might have to re-think that!!