Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preserving the Polaris

1. Back To Top    #1

Preserving the Polaris

I don’t have a decent shaded or hidden place for my Polaris cleaner. Sun/UV is a killer on plastics & the manual states to never store in direct sunight. When not running, & not swimming (clearly the about 95% of the week), it is better to keep the Polaris in the pool, right? The pool is a better storage environment? Nightly addition of bleach wouldn’t harm it? I’d remove for shocking I suppose. It’s just as esthetic/unaesthetic in the pool as on the deck.
    Thanks
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preserving the Polaris

My 380 is in the pool most of the time. No problems. Sure, the color has faded a bit but it still cleans like it was new.
    15,000 gallon unpainted plaster. Sand filter. Polaris 380.

3. Back To Top    #3

Instructions for the 380 do say to remove from the pool when shocking, also when swimming but with only adults I guess that is less important.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, you don't want to kick it by accident; or haul on the hoses. Unless you're just doing laps and the Polaris is really out of the way, I'd take it out anytime somebody's in the pool.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page